Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magwell for witness elite match

Harmon

I use JB Weld on the Canyon Creek magwell for my Witness Match.

I WAS NOT diligent about cleaning and roughing up the contact surfaces, and it holds for about 6 months of rough twice a week usage for L-10 USPSA and falling plates (6 rounds per magazine). After about 6 months, I can start feeling a tiny bit of movement if I torque the magwell in one particular direction. Tiny as is less than a third of a millimeter. I still had to use a dead blow hammer with lots of hits to get it off, do a quick clean, reapply JB Weld and just stuck it back on in time for a big match the following day. It was nice and solid again. Now about 6 months later with the temperature changes and rough usage, I'm starting to feel a tiny bit of movement again. Once I get it off again, I plan on cleaning it really well, but using silver solder instead of JB Weld.

Same mag size, but there are external differences. The Limited models have the front and back grip area checkered, square trigger guard,and the bottom of the frame is different. Most of the guns imported by EAA are the "Large frame" variety, but in Europe they offer "small frame" guns,too.

different frames with different magazines?

Harmon> Yes the frame is hard chromed. I have used the Canyon Creek magwell for a while. Initially I used Epoxy to attach it, but as others have already discribed it will work loose after a while. Since then I had the magwell TIG welded on and blended. I should have gotten it TIG welded on in the first place. The only down fall of welding it is that you will have to get it hard chromed again after the welding.

Even though its a little bit of a pain in the ass to get it welded on and hard chromed again its well worth the effort. The magwell really completes your grip by giving your pinky fingers more leverage against the gun. I am so spoild by it now that I won't shoot an EAA/Tanfo without the Canyon Creek magwell.