Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 conversion kit

Philo_Beddoe

I currently shoot a CZ SP-01 Shadow in the production division.

I was wondering if it would be worth the roughly $400 dollars to pick up the 22 Kadet conversion kit for practice.

Here is the catch I only have access to a public range that only allows a single target and no draws from the holster.

Pretty much all I can do is set the timer and pick up off the table and fire. But that is often not so good because the timer picks up the shots from the nearby stalls and I cant see what my time is.

I do alot of dry fire practice at home to work on my transitions, reloads, and draws. It seems to me that a 22 kit would be sort of pointless with such a limited range.

Thanks

There are a couple of threads about using a 22 convesion unit. In my own experience, it has helped me improve all aspects of my game. Two things that immediately come to mind, first is the cost of ammo, and the second is no recoil.

The inexpensive cost of .22 ammo allows you to practice with more rounds down range using your match gun. More rounds will always be beneficial especially if you are learning a new technique or re-enforcing an already acquired skill.

Second, using a .22 with light recoil allows to fine tune your technique without the muzzle flip and recoil. You can focus on the technique without any distractions. For those of us that were trying to call our shots and watch the return of the front sight to proper alignment, the low muzzle flip of the .22 imbeds in the mind exactly what you are looking for when you are shooting your normal ammo. This is a great training tool.

One note: do not go from .22 to .40 (or whatever) in a practice session. It will throw your timing off. .40 to .22 is ok.

Rarely do I shot both the .22 and .40 in the same session. Typically, I use the .22 during the week and the .40 in a practice session right before a match.

You mentioned poor quality of the range you shoot at. I'm not sure where you live, but can't you find some desert/forrest to shoot in where you don't have to deal with all the BS of an indoor range with stalls?

I do not currently own a .22 conversion kit so cannot speak to the training success personally, but have heard positive reinforcement of what pjb45 and twodownzero said MANY MANY times on another forum I have been a member of for years. If you can find a different place to shoot, I'd go for it.

Erik