Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-OEM Magazine Base Pads/ Plates

PEC-Memphis

This is a follow-up to my earlier thread which was closed.

Apparently, the earlier discussion where the issue was "clear-cut" to some, but not to others, is not-so-clear to IDPA.

I spoke to Robert Ray, who normally gives a ruling fairly soon, either verbally or by email.

In this case, this issue will be discussed by the IDPA board to give a ruling.

They should have an answer sometime after the first of the year (early 2011).

=====

In a personal opinion, non-OEM magazines get used all of the time - both for IDPA competition and self-defense.

The addition of a 10-8 (0.25 oz) aluminum base plate is an entirely practical (and relatively expensive) modification (of the magazine - not the gun) for SD purposes.

Also, the addition of (elastomaric) base pads is entirely practical for protection of magazines used for indoor (concrete floor) competition, with little, or no, competitive advantage.

If you are modifying (removing material) an OEM base plate, you are in effect, manufacturing a non-OEM magazine part. Does this give a competitive advantage - if it keeps you from dislodging a magazine - yes - but it is the same competitive advantage advantage you'd want is a SD situation. In the spirit of IDPA - does it make the firearm (and accessories) more practical, or less practical, for self-defense purposes. I say that the 10-8 and "user modified compact" magazine base plates make it more practical for CCW purposes - and therefore is well within the spirit of IDPA.

=====

On another note, I contacted 10-8, and they say that their base plates are IDPA-SSP compliant, and they even sponsor an SSP competitor. Robert Ray said that this has not been determined at this time.

Edited by PEC-Memphis

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is addressed in the rulebook.

Weighted magazines are illegal in all divisions.

A weighted magazine is defined as : Any magazine that weighs more than one

(1) ounce over the weight of a factory standard magazine for the

specific pistol in question.

To me that means the aluminum base plates or a small rubber bumper on the bottom of a mag would be legal.

I'm interested in this official ruling as well. I modified my M&P base plates to be more like the size of the M&P Compact plates because they would contact each other while on the belt.

Edited by waktasz

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Ray just posted a clarification here:

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/6939/Aftermarket-magazine-base-pads--modifications--base-pads--SS

Aftermarket magazine base pads or modifications of base pads on SSP guns

IDPA allows competitors to replace the base pads with aftermarket products. These products must still allow the gun to fit in the box and not make the magazine weigh more than 1 ounce over the same capacity factory magazine. Aftermarket products must be suitable for all day continuous wear and not a competition only product. Examples of non-legal products would be brass base pads or base pads incorporating springs to aid ejection.

IDPA allows competitors to make modifications to the base pads of SSP guns. These modifications must still allow the gun to fit in the box and not make the magazine weigh more than 1 ounce over the same capacity factory magazine. Modifications must be suitable for all day continuous wear. Examples of these modifications are reshaping of base pad or the addition of rubber/polymer bumper pads.

Also a clarification on aftermarket magazines in SSP:

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/6940/Aftermarket-magazines-for-SSP-guns

Aftermarket magazines for SSP guns

IDPA allows the use of aftermarket magazines for SSP guns. These products must still allow the gun to fit in the box and not make the magazine weigh more than 1 ounce over the same capacity factory magazine. Aftermarket products must be suitable for all day continuous wear and not a competition only product. Examples of non-legal products would be brass weighted products or the incorporation of springs to aid ejection.

• 9 months later...

And with this in mind, Dawson Precision will be offering our new line of EZ-Off basepads for Glock.

All are IDPA legal (less than 1 oz.), available in four height configurations and four colors (Black, Silver, Red and Blue).

Look for an official announcement on Wednesday. :cheers:

post-23341-0-69179600-1318888324_thumb.j

-Chet

And with this in mind, Dawson Precision will be offering our new line of EZ-Off basepads for Glock.

All are IDPA legal (less than 1 oz.), available in four height configurations and four colors (Black, Silver, Red and Blue).

Look for an official announcement on Wednesday. :cheers:

post-23341-0-69179600-1318888324_thumb.j

-Chet

Awesome!

Cool. I need a set that is ever so slightly thicker than stock. The glue on pads I've been using don't fit the IDPA box with the tall sights I'm using and the stock pads fit very flush with the Dawson magwell.