Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 9x23 questions?

harley45

I've got a stock Colt 9x23 with the unramped bar. and wa considering trying this brass instead of the winchester. My standad load is a 124 gr at 1400fps and never any faster. has anyone got experience with this combo. Is the brass strong enough to handle this or should I just stick to Winchester?

Thanks Eric

The Starline 9 supercomp (9x23) is more than adaquate for major pf loads.

the load you have described will be fine. If you are not seeing any pressure problems with the Winchester brass, you won't with the Starline.

Agreed, for loads only intended to slightly excede major. However, I happen to know that Harley is interested in loads such as 147s that excede 1300 FPS (such loads being useful for pins, hunting, etc. I have only loaded 115s & 124s in Starline brass & my SV has a supported barrel. I have, personally sectioned starline 9 Supercomp and Win. 9x23; the Winchester brass was significantly thicker. I also sectioned .38 Supercomp and it appeared identical to 9 Supercomp. Best call Starline & see what they have to say. But again, I would not hesitate to use Starline for normal 124 & 115 major+ loads.

I bought 2000 New winchester cases for the super hot stuff, and only shoot those once per case. I want the starline stuff to use as a practice load at the police department qualifications. We tend to lose alot of brass outside and that gets expensive fast. (The 9x23 has become my offduty gun). The only load I want the starline for is the 124 at 1400fps 7.8 gr of vv 3n37 or vn350 seems to be the ticket for me, and shows no pressure signs at all in my Colt as long as I use small rifle primers. Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. Carlos I finally got to 1300 fps with the 147 grainers!!!!

Harley45,

If you are looking for brass to use as "lost brass", you should try Armscor 38 super rimmless. It will run just fine in the 9x23 gun and costs about $70 / M last I looked. I know of 3 GM's here on the West Coast using it with out any problems.

• 2 months later...

Do you use .38 Super dies or 9mm dies to load the Armscor .38 Super Rimless?

9mm or 38 Super (or Super Comp?) extractor?

I'm just starting up with 9x23 and have been told to use 9mm dies, a .223 shell plate, etc....

Whats the best die and shell plate setup for loading 9x23? Can I just do it with my 9mm dies and shell plate?

(I did a seacrh and while there is a lot of 9x23 discussiion, I didn't see a "here are ther dies to use answer" anywhere)

I'm thinking, from what I've been told so far:

Carbide dies, 9mm

Undersize sizing die?

Lee Factory crimp for 9mm

.223 shellplate

Thanks!

From what I have been told Starline has changed the 9 super comp brass to accept heavier bullets. Whatever that means. They have also changed the headstamp so that it is not so easy to get 9 super and 38 super comp brass mixed up.

RCBS makes honest to God 9x23 dies. 9mm dies work just fine. I guess 38 super dies would work but you would be working the brass a whole lot.

Somewhere in the forum I saw pictures of Armscor brass that was split all to pieces. I don't think the savings would be worth it. Especially in the Colt. They should have used a fully supported barrel.

Starline 9 SuperComp brass is great. Plus 9x23 arguably is the strongest case design out there. 9 SuperComp is even stronger than 9x23 brass, the web design is different.

RIIID is right. A .223 shell plate is a must for 9 Supercomp and 38 Supercomp. It makes life a bit easier, less movement.

The RCBS resizing die works well too. But when they get too bad, a 9mm CasePro brings them back for more.

Since I got into 9x23 I've only used 9mm dies with the standard 9mm shellholder.

SRT Diver, I wasn't clear on your last post are you saying the starline is stronger than the Winchester 9x23 brass? And do you think it will handle a 147 at 1200fps?

Action Pistolero, Starline cahnged the case design to accept 147gr and heavier bullets. the winchester brass only seems to work with the xtp bevel base bullet in 147gr.

Harley45,

Check out pistolsmith.com and burnscustom.com. There are 9x23 sections in both.

After doing a bit of checking, turns out that the Win 9x23 brass is a bit stronger than Starline 9 SuperComp. Win has a patent on the double swaged 9x23 case. Looks like Starline is single swaged but it is very close to the win cases, according to the experts.

I have not used 147's in 9 Supercomp. My load is with 124's.

Hope this helps.