Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Open gun help!

Rangertim

I'm tossing around the idea of building a 9mm Major Open gun out of one of my 5in XDs (not XDm). I really like the SJC Comp that is made for the Glocks and I'm curious if anyone makes one similar for the XD. Also, be curious to hear from the guys that have done this what type of mount/optic combo you went with as well as magazine extensions. Thanks!

Edited by Rangertim

I'm tossing around the idea of building a 9mm Major Open gun out of one of my 5in XDs (not XDm). I really like the SJC Comp that is made for the Glocks and I'm curious if anyone makes one similar for the XD. Also, be curious to hear from the guys that have done this what type of mount/optic combo you went with as well as magazine extensions. Thanks!

comp

mount

mount

basepad

170 basepad

Thanks Scott. Unfortunately that 170mm kit is for the XDm mags. I guess 16rd mag with a +5 extension isn't too bad. Is that comp the only one of its kind available? I noticed that it has no horizontal ports like the SJC or Brazos Thundercomp that you find for 2011s, any particular reason for this? And finally, I guess I should verify that a standard 5in XD has what it takes to handle 9mm Major loads in terms of pressure, etc? Thanks!

Thanks Scott. Unfortunately that 170mm kit is for the XDm mags. I guess 16rd mag with a +5 extension isn't too bad. Is that comp the only one of its kind available? I noticed that it has no horizontal ports like the SJC or Brazos Thundercomp that you find for 2011s, any particular reason for this? And finally, I guess I should verify that a standard 5in XD has what it takes to handle 9mm Major loads in terms of pressure, etc? Thanks!

The XD's striker spring makes the springing of the gun different than the Glock or 2011 and our comp keeps the dot in the glass when shooting major loads. I opted for a less obnoxious comp as the base, as it is easier to put side ports in than take them out :cheers:

The gun will handle the loads as long as you use good ammo and don't over use your brass.

Since Scott is the resident expert, I am wondering....do they make a 5.5in or 6in barrel that can be threaded for comp to be used in a XD9 tactical? All the pictures of comped XDs I see are the 4in version. Is that becuase they put a 5in barrel in a service model gun so it's long enough to thread for the comp? Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me.