Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metallic slide lightening

mwc

Hey guys,

I just started shooting Action pistol last fall with a STI Targetmaster in 9mm. I shoot a Zero 115gr FMJ at around 1134fps. I switched about halfway through this year to an open gun and had a blast. But I'm considering on a trip to the Cup this year and maybe shoot metallic.

Having said all that...I was thinking about having the slide lightened on the Targetmaster to maybe increase the slide speed a bit and lessen what little recoil there is. I thought this may help a bit with the barricades, which is the stage that gives me the most trouble. Anyway...anyone done this or is it a waste of time.

Mark

I am of the opinion that slide lightening in Metallic is counter productive. Yea, the slide speed is slower but we are not concerned with speed. Recoil control is paramount. I'm running a full profile 6" slide with a tungsten gude rod and spring plug. Needless to say, recoil is minimal.

The Barricade is a technique event. It doesn't matter if it is open or metallic. Open is all about x's and metallic is about 10's. On the right side of the barricade I use my left hand knuckles and my right hand thumb. For the left side I cant the gun and try to bury my left hand knuckles in the barricade.

The secret to metallic is to know exactly where your gun needs to be aimed at every distance and follow the golden rules. Sight alignment and trigger control.

"On the right side of the barricade I use my left hand knuckles and my right hand thumb. For the left side I cant the gun and try to bury my left hand knuckles in the barricade."

Sounds kinda painful. Do you wear a glove on your left hand?

Mark

Gloves are a must. . I started using gloves on the barricade in open also. I've been using a glove on my left hand in open on the plates and mover as well. The checkering on my guns is pretty sharp so unless I get to shoot a bunch my hands take a beating.

Shooting, for me, has become like weight lifting. No pain, no gain. If I'm comfortable while shooting then I'm doing something wrong.

Interesting...I hadn't really given much thought to wearing gloves. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks. One other question though...I looked around the internet for a while and could find anyone selling 6 inch tungsten guide rods. I saw that EGW had made one in the past, but they don't have one listed in their store. Any advice there?

I thought that Cominolli made one as well. I know they make 5" as I have three or four, but I always was sure they made 6" as well.

I woudl also suggest using a 6" barrel and a 5" slide, similar to an open gun, you replace the comp with a barrel weight that simulates the comp. Just make sure you set it up right as the barrel becomes very heavy in relation to the slide. Can cause some of the issues that Kevin referred to just in a different way.

I use a Uncle Mikes Neoprene Duty glove, left hand only. If not the knuckles take a thrashing on the left hand side of the barricade, especially middle finger of left hand.