Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP uppers cheap

ErikW

Hi Eric,

You could just swap barrels and then sell it to a shooter building their rifle (in theory). Don't know how removable the barrel is without compromising the comp.

Let me know when you're ready to get a JP upper and I'll see what I can do for you.

Rich

I think those are the older uppers that were for the Grade 1 rifles (pre CTR-02). If so, they don't have the integral ACOG mating type rail, and the extra rail height will increase sight bore offset on you because they were designed for large objective scope mounting clearance (can you say Varmint Rifle?).

If they were the newer CTR-02 upper with the ACOG mating capability and the lower rail, that would be a real good price. I got my fully finished ready to shoot CTR-02 upper for $950 just under 2 years ago (they had just become available then). It has a low mass OS and an open tank type brake. I don't know what they are running for now, but I will bet they are still pretty reasonable right from JP.

**I just checked the JP site and the CTR-02 upper only is now $1299, I guess I got a great deal!

I would say it is best not to monkey with these old stock closeouts and get a new CTR-02 or JP-15 upper right from JP (yes Virginia, they do sell direct).

--

Regards,

Edited by George

I'm not getting a JP or anything else. (I just got my upper working with its new JP BC-comp.)

I just posted it as a resource for all the JP worshippers and droolers here. :) Just doing my part to help the recessionary economy.

That high receiver is a bummer. But some people do like to overscope their guns.

That high receiver is a bummer.

So is not having the integral ACOG mounting capability. Without that feature, you need an adapter and that raises the rather expensive little sucker up on ya. Big time bummer if you are spending that kind of bucks.

3-4 years ago maybe a good deal, but nowadays these older JP uppers are less than perfect for three gunnin' compared to the new CTR-02 design.

--

Regards,

What, are ACOGs required in Open and Tactical divisions now?

It's not about having to have an ACOG, it's about having all of the available features/options when you make an investment of this level. Even a $380 price difference isn't worth a high rail and the lack of being able to mount an ACOG if you wanted to. It also helps re-sale if all of the features are there.

BTW, the option of getting in on the JP Trajectory Mapped ACOG with the re-designed & re-calibrated reticle with 10mph windage hashes is worth the difference here. It looks to be a really hot setup for steel shooting at warp speed, at distance, and in the wind (can anyone say Reno?). I'm getting into one as soon as finances allow, but you gotta have a CTR-02 upper to enjoy the calibrated reticle feature.

--

Regards,

I have this upper with the ability to mount an ACOG on it. Jake the Snake Kempton milled a slot in the rail which the ACOG sits in. Works great.

Two words about my upper: TACK DRIVER