Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bells and whistles

jostein jensen

I'm getting my first ever AR these days and could use some advice as to what bells and whistles to put on this thing for IPSC open division.

The upper is an 18.5" bushmaster with flat top, JP tank brake, lightweight carrier and adjustable gas block, Vtac handguard and a S&B 1-4 scope. I'm going to put a harris bipod on it.

Lower is stock bushmaster. I've bought an ACE stock and JP lightweight buffer for it, awaiting delivery.

I was thinking JP or Jard single stage trigger but other than that, what do I need? Bigger mag release? Magwell? Whats out there, what works and whats crap?

thanks in advance

JJ.

I have a JP trigger and I am pleased with it even though Ithink I would have chosen something else today. ……A quality two stage triggerwould have made the transition from pistols to rifle easier, I think. (I had noexperience with rifle shooting from before)

A lot of people experience problems with JP triggers and 22 conversions/dedicated22 uppers at least in combination with light springs, which is what you want.

Since you are building an open gun right from the get-go, why don't you run a little more power on your optic, and you can still mount a little red dot. That's one of the main reasons that a lot of guys run open is for the flexability of the optics. You will be pleased with the JP trigger. Best deal going is the JP trigger in a lower receiver for $299.

Dual optics is on hold until I'm in complete control of shooting with just one. Getting a good stance, cheek weld, trigger and reload control and just getting to know the rifle properly before introducing a second optic that potentially fooks with my head on a stage is priority one. Those 300 is better spent on ammo I think.

Besides, we only shoot to 300, 350 max around here and 4x should hope fine with that.

Skip the magwell.....I like to be able to run a beta mag if need be. I put a bigger safety (Midway) and a tac latch on mine...but the trigger is going to be the main thing. I just switched back to my TA-11 (3.5x) it is good out to 400 yards or so....your optic is fine IMHO. A reliable gun and practice..+++on the ammo idea.