Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 rimfire conversion worthwhile?

NewColonial

I received a promo email from Sig Sauer today advertising a .22LR Rimfire Conversion Kit for the Sig P226 for $249. Does practicing with .22 rimfire provide a benefit? I'm shooting 9mm as it is, so the costs aren't exorbitant but I guess in today's economy anything helps. I'm doing lots of dry fire during the week and shooting a couple hundred "live" each weekend at the range. How much benefit is gained by upping the round count, but changing how the gun behaves in regard to recoil, weight, etc?

My wife and I have 3- .22 conversions between us and I think they help a lot. For drawing and getting a sight picture, transitions, movement, etc. I don't like dry fireing but I do like going to the range and running 200-300 rounds of .22 rimfire through. Some of the conversions are a little ammo sensitive, but that is not a big deal as they all run with the economy packs from Wally.

At the end of the practice session I do put the regular slide back on and run a few full power rounds downrange to remember what the recoil is.

Thanks,

George

I like shooting 22's. Have a ticked out Ruger Mark 2 and a S@W 617. When I tried a 22 conversion on my Kimber 45 it was fun but just didn't work out for me. When I shot the 45 then went to the 22 top end and fired a few hundred rounds it seemed to make it harder for me to control the pistol when I went back to the 45 top end.

Didn't affect me when shooting the Ruger of S@W 617 then going to another center fire pistol.

Ended up selling the 22 top end.

Thanks for the replies. I see a thread on sigforum about folks seeking excessive wear on the lower when using the conversion kit. I think I'll skip it. Does sound useful though.

If you have a steel frame they are practically indestructible. If an alloy frame, well I would say how many years do you want the gun to last. If I was a master shooter I'd wouldn't have one. But, I work my guns to the bone to get better. There are some shooters out there who have become grand masters by shooting couple hundred thousand rounds of .22. Ben Stoeger is a testament. He has a good article on his website. Just type in his name into google.

Jay