Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clip Carrier?

Wakal

I have a 4" 625, and was thinking of stepping out of CDP and trying that round gun thing.  What carriers are legal for moon clips?

The rule books says the usual silliness about "if you would carry it on the street, then it would be OK in IDPA" but I've read elsewhere that the neat "Shoot A Moon" clips from CCW are illegal.  I'm not a small guy (6'3" 220), and noticed that these holders don't print and are secure.  However...if Bill doesn't like them, I guess I can't use 'em.

Another thread mentioned Ted Blocker having a wire hanger sort of moon clip holder, but I hate buying stuff I haven't seen pictures of.  Help?

Thanks,

Alex

The "Shoot the Moon" clip holders for full moon clips are allowed. You aren't allowed to use the plain metal clips for speedloaders. The reason is because the speedloader can turn sideways in the clip and fall out. The clip holders with a post of some type are allowed because the clip won't get pushed out & be lost.

Bill Nesbitt

• 4 months later...

I'd like to ask a question concerning the placement of moon clip carriers. The rule book says in a couple places where revolver ammo carriers "may" be placed but does not say where they "must" be placed or where they "may not" be placed.

I asked 3 experienced IDPA revolver shooters if moon clips can be worn behind the hip on the weak side (for weak hand reloads).

I got 3 different answers - yes, no, & Idunno.

Any help would be appreciated.

We had the same issue come up.

According to IDPA you may wear speedloaders on the weak side ,the same as magazine location guidelines.

Others may be worn to the immediate front of the holster side.

You MAY NOT wear sl's on the weak side FORWARD of the centerline.

Hope that helps,

MP

Definitely use the revolver! Welcome to the "revolution!"

A. Zimmerman (winner of the 2002 National Championship) wore the speedloader holders (with center post) on his left side (not sure where the third one was). Mark Perez is correct.

Also, noting the moon clip carriers offered on TK's site....these are were really cool the first time our crew tried them UNTIL....we've had a few incidents where the holes loosened up and the rounds fell when the shooter bent down or moved too quickly (two at the 2003 IL State match - not good :blink: ).

We've also noticed that when the top moon clip is removed and then you kneel down you are likely to push the second one out of the holes (this occurs if the holder is placed in front of the holster for a right handed shooter). I don't know about moving it to the "weak hand" side, that might work if you like to reload a revolver from that side.