Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Steel Challenge for Newbie

jlowrimore

there is no major or minor in the steel challenge. shooting your 9mm will be prefect. FMJ is fine as well. some clubs my have certian rules on there steel. i use the 115gr cmj from montana gold.

lynn

Edited by lynn jones

My club, Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton, NH, says "160 Power Factor MAX! (Minimum Power Floor 750 FPS)" for Steel Challenge matches. You are going to have a hard time finding any off the shelf 9mm that doesn't fall into that range. Our rules are designed to keep the bullet fragments from leaving bays and keep the steel from getting to beat up. I believe the minimum is stated in case we need to use electronic stop plates. At 99% of the local matches safe gun handling will trump any equipment rules for a newbie.

Steel Challenge is matches are fantastic and addictive. I always tell people to bring what ever gear they have. Once you get a feel for the sport you can change things up to suit your gun and shooting style.

Edited by blind bat

750fps min. ensures that the bullet disintegrates on impact and reduces the chance of ricochet significantly.

160PF max. is probably to protect the steel at your range.

Like it was said before, one will be hard pressed to find 9x19 loads that are too slow or too powerful.

Good luck at the match!