Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon or the Brass?

I have a quantity of once fired nickle plated Winchester 9mm cases and while pretty, they present a reloading quandry. I have a D550B. On the first reload, when the case comes out of the expand/powder charge die there is significant resistance as it pulls off the expander. This does not occur on my machine with brass cases or on subsequent reloads with the nickle cases. As an experiment, I have inside chamfered some cases and this offers an improvement, but does not totally eliminate the situation(not to mention extra time). Any thoughts or suggestions to improve this? The expander does not seem to have any rough spots that would cause this to occur.

I realize I could donate all of them to a needy reloader and that would fix it but I was hoping to use them myownself.

thanks, Howard

I have a quantity of once fired nickle plated Winchester 9mm cases and while pretty, they present a reloading quandry. I have a D550B. On the first reload, when the case comes out of the expand/powder charge die there is significant resistance as it pulls off the expander. This does not occur on my machine with brass cases or on subsequent reloads with the nickle cases. As an experiment, I have inside chamfered some cases and this offers an improvement, but does not totally eliminate the situation(not to mention extra time). Any thoughts or suggestions to improve this? The expander does not seem to have any rough spots that would cause this to occur.

I realize I could donate all of them to a needy reloader and that would fix it but I was hoping to use them myownself.

thanks, Howard

In my experience there are significant variations between the different expanders of the same caliber - I have some that stick more, and others that come out easily. I can't figure out why, they seem to have the same dimensions and finish.

You can try buying another expander, it is just a few bucks, and try it. If luck is on your side, that one will take less effort.

lots of threads on this subject, nickle brass seems to be 'workhardened' by repeated reloading/firing at a more rapid ratethan plain brass cases, that being said, ive experienced the same thing as you, and just deal with it, you can swap out expander dies, or some have said that if you polish it the stickiness will go away...some say polishingthe brass with car wax in the media...the list goes on and on, suffice to say, its happeningto everyone outthere that i know of at least...

lots of threads on this subject, nickle brass seems to be 'workhardened' by repeated reloading/firing at a more rapid ratethan plain brass cases, that being said, ive experienced the same thing as you, and just deal with it, you can swap out expander dies, or some have said that if you polish it the stickiness will go away...some say polishingthe brass with car wax in the media...the list goes on and on, suffice to say, its happeningto everyone outthere that i know of at least...