Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115gr vs. 124gr MG FMJ bullets

Rangertim

From the time I started reloading I have been using Montana Gold 115gr FMJ. I'm running 4.4gr of Titegroup under it and make 133PF. I'm wondering if it will be worth me switching to a heavier bullet, namely 124gr MG. Will I notice a significant reduction in recoil if I tailor the powder charge so I'm still making approx. 133PF? I would expect that less "snap" will get me back on target faster, allow for quicker splits, and lower my times. Am I on the right path? It it worth the switch?

Thanks for the advice!

FYI-Running a 5in XD, as if it made a difference.

From the time I started reloading I have been using Montana Gold 115gr FMJ. I'm running 4.4gr of Titegroup under it and make 133PF. I'm wondering if it will be worth me switching to a heavier bullet, namely 124gr MG. Will I notice a significant reduction in recoil if I tailor the powder charge so I'm still making approx. 133PF? I would expect that less "snap" will get me back on target faster, allow for quicker splits, and lower my times. Am I on the right path? It it worth the switch?

Thanks for the advice!

FYI-Running a 5in XD, as if it made a difference.

The 124's slower speed should give you what you're looking for. In my all steel gun, it helped noticeably. Normally I like Zero 125jhps, but while waiting for more, I've been shooting MG 124CMJ and it shoots well.

124s should feel a little softer, but I don't know that it'll really help your split times, since the gun cycles in essentially the same amount of time and it's not a huge difference in flip.

For what it's worth, trying to reduce split times by switching to a heavier bullet really isn't the best way to go about things. I can shoot split times as fast with my Limited or SS guns when compared with my Production gun (M&P Pro), and they have a lot more flip and recoil.

If you really want to feel a difference, jump up to 147s...quite a bit softer. I wouldn't bother with the 121s even though they're usually a very accurate bullet...6gr more just isn't enough to notice, and most are actually under 121gr unless they've changed something. R,

I'm a believer in fast powder/heavy bullets. I don't think you will notice much with 124s but you will with the 147s.

Some people may say the slide is too slow, it feels sluggish, etc. I doubt you will ever out run your slide...

Edited by lugnut