Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147Gr lead/solo1k and tumbling

I made some 147gr lead with 3.7gr solo 1k at 1.12 Shot them through my Mp9 and they were tumbling at 7yards. I used this same bullet with 3n37 and it shot straight. I've read so much on how solo 1k is the powder to use these days.

Any idea whats going on?

It might be too much crimp as stated. Another issue could be bullet to bore fit. You might consider slugging your barrel to see if you're using an undersized bullet for your gun. However, since you stated that you've used these bullets before, and I'm assuming your press is still set to the same crimp, something else must be going on.

Personally, 3.7gr seems like alot of solo to be running with a 147gr cast bullet @ 1.120. I run 3.2 to 3.3gr with a 147gr cast bullet for practice and it makes 127PF @ 1.135"

3n37 is a much slower burn rate powder than Solo 1000, and as such is more forgiving. A large amount of a really fast powder in a small case can do bad things to a firearm and sometimes a person. Please be careful.

If you haven't chrono'd your loads, I would say back your charge down a bit and see if the tumbling stops. You really should find a buddy with a chronograph if you don't have one for load development. They're priceless.

Edited by dsmw5142

I load 3.8gr and make 134pf. 127 is too close with Solo being temp sensitive. Getting Chrono'd twice at IDPA nationals isnt fun. High temps and a slow test gun can make your cheeks pucker.. (I went 134pf the second go round)

Ive run lots of 147gr and Solo though my M&P Pro and 9mm 1911 and the only down side is the temp sensitivity.

Are you sure its a tumble and not just a tearing target? Sometimes the 147gr LFP doesnt make a very clean hole..

As said above, check your crimp first. It might be too much, although Ive run a pretty tight crimp and not had tumbling.

What brand of bullets are you using ? Do they measure .356-7 ?

Edited by DWFAN

I load 3.8gr and make 134pf. 127 is too close with Solo being temp sensitive. Getting Chrono'd twice at IDPA nationals isnt fun. High temps and a slow test gun can make your cheeks pucker.. (I went 134pf the second go round)

Ive run lots of 147gr and Solo though my M&P Pro and 9mm 1911 and the only down side is the temp sensitivity.

Are you sure its a tumble and not just a tearing target? Sometimes the 147gr LFP doesnt make a very clean hole..

As said above, check your crimp first. It might be too much, although Ive run a pretty tight crimp and not had tumbling.

What brand of bullets are you using ? Do they measure .356-7 ?

There is definitely a significant lot to lot variance with Solo. That, as well as temperature sensitivity are the only two issues I have with it.

What velocity are you currently getting ?

I would like to know this too. That is a very important piece of the puzzle.

To the OP. If you're not interested in powder puff loads, why not try another medium burn rate powder like Universal, Unique or WSF? They will all work fairly well with lead. WSF (Winchester Super Field) will probably be the cleanest of the three.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot 3.8gr of WSF over a 147gr cast lead bullet just fine. That load makes 130+ PF out of my 4" XD.

With cast lead bullets, diameter makes a huge difference in performance and accuracy. You can shoot .356 FMJ all day long, but for lead you need .357 or .358. If you're casting your own, I'd try sizing to .358 and see if that does anything for you.