Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting a CZ

alphabrace

I too was a diehard Glock-guy, but after a while I started thinking that maybe life was too short to live it out crisp-trigger-deprived. I spent a lot of money figuring out that while nice 1911's deliver the goods trigger-wise,

I followed your Gen 4 train wreck closely and with emphathy. I on the other hand have the Midas touch in buying those things. But I gave a M&P Pro 9 a 2400 round test drive a year ago because it is such a hyped platform I wanted to find out for myself. (it is a nice pistol but I traded it on a perfect Gen 4 G19)

But yeah, I've been shooting more than 40 years and can't count on another 40 so I intend to try out a few other guns, just to know. I've owned and shot about 10 1911s but I don't see me doing a whole lot of .45 shooting any more. I've seen guys running CZ competition setups like bats out of hell and I'd like to see what kind of FAST I could put up with one. ;)

I guess it would be a Shadow or maybe the much cheaper 85 Combat to ease into the ZED.

I guess it would be a Shadow or maybe the much cheaper 85 Combat to ease into the ZED.

If an 85combat works for you, yeah, it's a great choice, no FPB like the Shadows, just add a competition hammer and you've pretty much got one as nice as they get for around $600, a lot less if you can find a used one.

If you like to shoot matches, sometimes beyond just club level, I'd whole-heartedly recommend the short-dustcover 75 Shadow, they ain't cheap ($900+) but IMHO they've got all the best CZ 9mm elements in one packege and pretty much everything out-of-the-box (newer, high-beavertail frame, no FPB, comp hammer onstalled, 85 trigger, good sights) and are legal for IDPA SSP and ESP, IPSC, and, USPSA any day now (the paperwork has literally already been submitted to USPSA), plus it's robust and reliable enough for HD and even CCW. For what they cost in respect to how nice they shoot and how great their trigger's are, consider that a 1911 as nice would cost at least double, probably more, and would be half as reliable... so for the price of less than two Glocks or maybe one mid-level Sig, they're really almost a bargain.

Speaking of used, if you don't care about it being totally sanctioned-match-legal for gun games, the FPB can be removed easily from just about any CZ you find, but to keep things in perspective, even the B-models with FPB's have trigger-resets about the same length as a Glock's, which is pretty much better than most.

The competition hammer is a MUST though, it's the best $65 a gun-guy could spend, takes them from ok-to-good to WOW.

Hate to sound like such a salesman, but I've seen your posts on p-t.com and m4c and think you might be exactly the kind of shooter that would really appreciate how cool they are, they're real working duty/SD guns that happen to make great competition guns, finicky race-guns they're not. Properly maintained, I'd feel totally comfortable running 1k through one in a class one day, shooting a match the next, and then carrying it on Monday...

Edited by ck1

Hate to sound like such a salesman,

Chip..you are getting to be such a fanboy these days! hahahahha

I know, super lame, even started playing with a VZ-58 the other day... :)

Hate to sound like such a salesman, but I've seen your posts on p-t.com and m4c and think you might be exactly the kind of shooter that would really appreciate how cool they are, they're real working duty/SD guns that happen to make great competition guns, finicky race-guns they're not. Properly maintained, I'd feel totally comfortable running 1k through one in a class one day, shooting a match the next, and then carrying it on Monday...

No problem sell on! I'm diggin' it. I also still have a college age lad around who is a lefty for my rationalization quiver. Thanks much.