Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you spell badass... ;-)

sinnsyk

My Witness Hunter 10mm is finally finished and will be taken to Northern Colorado for backup/elk hunt in about a week:

All dressed up with Competition magewll (for grip support shooting 10mm and recoil control), Checkered Contour grips (same reason), EGW Hammer & Sear, Henning oversized trigger pins, XL Firing pin (for anti-misfire), Wolff 13lb hammer spring, prototype Mid-length Flat Trigger, Henning Titefit Slidepin (in the case of 10mm... very important. 10mm's heavy recoil is safe with this tough slide pin), Huening Roller trigger plunger. I'm running #18 trigger plunger spring and the #18 trigger return spring. The trigger has NOT been set up to be light. For the purpose of hunting it's on the contrary.. it's crisp, but heavy.. Well, heavy for me anyway.. it's about 2.25 lbs (1000 grams). I run my competition triggers at 1.5 lbs (700 grams). The thumb safety is also set up to be heavy for safety reasons.

post-3780-094621200 1289335248_thumb.jpg

post-3780-064259600 1289335253_thumb.jpg

post-3780-076961200 1289335259_thumb.jpg

The barrel was "accurized" by Canyon Creek Custom (Rich Dettelhouser) by installing a 1911 bushing in the Tanfoglio/EAA 10mm 6" slide. Rich also had to make a custom guide bushing to make this work.

post-3780-026675400 1289335271_thumb.jpg

The new Double Alpha Aimpoint Micro mount. Saul and I looked at his prototype during the Europeans in Serbia earlier this year and we made a slight change to make sure it sits perfect on the gun. I'm very happy with it, finally been able to have a slick Aimpoint Micro mounted in my hunting pistol.

post-3780-005053000 1289335283_thumb.jpg

I have Double Alpha aimpoint mounts in stock. Also have Racemaster holsters. I'll try to get the up on the shop right away. If you want either right away, contact me directly.

post-3780-042951900 1289335311_thumb.jpg

10mm ammo etc.. A customer of mine pointed me in the direction of Double Tap Ammo. Apparently those guys have EAA Witness 10mm guns and hunt with them. So they make sure to make ammo for both hunting and defense that works in the EAA Witness 10mm mags.

I get about 2-3 calls a week from Witness 10mm customer having magazine problems. We might have touched on that here before, but the main issue is that the typical 1.265" OAL 10mm factory ammo is too long for the Witness 10mm mags. The mags have an internal length of 1.3", but when you load them the diagonal length is what's important so bullet shape and OAL can cause the rounds to touch front/back and either fail to feed and/or make it very difficult to load the magazines.

In an effort to provide some more input for the many Witness 10mm owners out there I ordered a Witness Steel 10mm and a Poly 10mm. Now that I've got my Hunter 10mm blaster ready to go and eager to go hunting with it... I will soon write an article specifically on the 10mm. There are several little tips that can make it smooth sailing, but for the typical gun owner it can be frustrating when you run to the store, buy ammo and struggle with the mags/ammo.

Quickly some of the things I'll touch on are:

- Ammunition, OAL. Factory and reloads.

- Magazines, modifications, springs, basepads

- Reducing ammo friction inside magazine

- Recoil management; recoil springs, guide rod, shock buffers, grip, grip enhancements

- Holsters for carry, hunting and competition

IF anyone has any other requests or thoughts on the topic, please post. I'm also getting some more custom holsters made for these guns.

Lots to do.