Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy Help

abcxyz

Hi,

I'm new to handguns and have recently purchased a Sig 239 9mm.  I've gone to the range about 4 times now and have shot about 450 rounds.  I've had no formal training (except for a basic handgun course on how to properly handle and use a firearm), and have just been reading a lot on the internet about proper grip, stance, breathing, focusing on front sight, etc.  In the first range session I shot about 150 rounds and the groups were relatively consitent, but low.  I printed that improvement target from sportshooter.com and used that.  I believe my head is slanted downward when shooting that's why the shots were low.  Should the head be completely straight?  It feels like I'm almost looking up.  

Also, I think my stance is messed up.  I feel more comfortable with the Weaver stance, but I'm not sure if my arms are In the proper position etc.  From what I know, I should have my right arm straight out and elbow locked, my left arm should be bent at the elbow, but is the elbow supposed to be pointing straight down are like in a "southwest" angle --naturally my elbow points in to the southwest, so to point it straight down requires slight effort from what my arm naturally does.  I'm not sure which is the correct position.  

I went to the range yesterday and was trying the Isocoles stance, it doesn't feel as comfortable.  Anyway, all my shots were all over the place yesterday, I was switching between Isocoles and Weaver just to see which would feel better etc.  Probably not a good idea to switch back and forth cuz my shots were everywhere no matter which stance I was in.  Probably lost concentration.  

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi there!  Welcome to the forums and most importantly welcome to shooting!!!

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  You may want to try checking out http://www.mattburkett.com

Matt's a professional instructor and a Grand Master in IPSC.  He's written a book that covers the basics better than anyone I've seen.  As a plus, he's posted excerpts on his webpage.  You can also order Matt's new video set here in Brian's store.  

And no, I don't work for him nor do I have any interest in his profits.  He's just a really nice guy that gets his points across in an easy to understand manner!

Also, search the BEginner's questions here on the forums - there is a lot of good information already posted there.

abcxyz:

Whatever you do, get started right. It's a whole lot easier to develop proper shooting fundamentals than it is to go back and break bad habits.

There are a lot of instructional materials available including Brian's book. I have Matt's Manual and Brian's book. Brian's book has some great photos and instructions for beginners as well as advanced shooters. Think about buying both, but get the "book" for sure. To get started right you need to work on grip, balance, and stance.

I don't want to knock any particular shooting system, but the Weaver Stance is not as popular as it once was. The platform that has won out with the test of time is the Modified or Modern Isocoles and when properly executed it is much more natural and comfortable than the Weaver Stance. The choice is up to you.

For a start, I encourage you to read Brian's Tips, Quotes and Words, on his Web site at: http://www.brianenos.com/pages/words.html#expanded.

Hey abc,

Welcome to shooting, and the forums.  Another good basic pistol shooting manual is the Marine Corps Pistol Marksmanship manual, available here:

https://www.doctrine.usmc.mil/mcrp/htm/mcrp301b.htm

It's good you're analyzing all aspects of your shooting, and experimenting with different things.  That said, accuracy problems with new shooters are almost always related to the two most fundamental things:  Sight Alignment and Trigger Control.  Look at those things first!  If you're hitting low, you may be looking over your sights to see the target (don't...focus on the front sight!), or you may be pushing the heel of the gun in anticipation of the recoil (don't...just work on a slow, steady squeeze of your trigger--the gun should surprise you when it goes off!)

For the most part (in my opinion), changing stance and grip and head position will have little effect--they're more like minor tweaks whereas SA and TC are the real keys to solid performance.  So just find a basic, simple, comfortable stance to start with, and learn the fundamentals.

Also, I'd suggest you seek professional instruction.  A few hours at the outset can prevent you from developing bad habits, and it's much easier to simply learn something the right way than it is to un-learn the wrong way, and then learn the right way.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

Like DogmaDog said...your stance should have little to do with the actual accruacy.   Sights and trigger do though...call those shots.

Like Ron said...go with the Modern Isocoles stance...it is better for other reasons.  Learn it from the start.

Like SG said...Matt Burkett has some really good info.

Thanks for everyone's responses, this is real helpful.  I've check out the sites you guys listed and have been reading here at work (I know I should be working, but hey, priorities first right? =)    I'll have to try out some of the stuff tonight when I go to the range.  So many things to remember, had to write some notes down.  

Had another question, I keep reading, "calling the shots" --what does that mean exactly, sorry for the ignorance.  

Thanks again for all the help!

Had another question, I keep reading, "calling the shots" --what does that mean exactly, sorry for the ignorance.  

Not ignorance at all.  I had to ask someone too, and I had been shooting for 3 years :-)

The plain english version of "calling your shot" is knowing exactly where that bullet is going to hit the target.

Simple right?  HA HA HA HA.  Lemme know when you master this one and tell me how you did it, kay?      

"Simple right?  HA HA HA HA."

I am probably no better than you at calling shots.  When I have got it right, it was not because I was doing something difficult.  Its just looking in the right place, at the right time, (or not looking away) and knowing what is being seen.  

I'm trying to say that if you think its hard, it will be.  

(Edited by Rich Bagoly at 4:16 pm on May 21, 2002)

Try the burner series. Jerry Barnhart teaches the basics and fundamentals and shows you how to shoot properly. After that I recommend Brian's books beyond fundamentals.

Enjoy shooting! Its the best thing that ever happened to me