Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 45 fired out of battery

shasta214

Shot in our local Uspsa match yesterday and had an slight incident about 4 rounds into stage 4. while engaging my second target on that string of fire i had a round discharge before the slide was fully into battery. i got peppered in the face with what i expect was hot powder residue and had two black streaks across my thumbs from where they rest on the left side of the frame. Thankfully i was fine and my gunsmith only needs to replace the trigger bar from the plastic shroud breaking on the trigger. With the after market guide rod and 14 lb spring i have installed it will hang very slightly out of battery but close enough in so that the striker can be released. i have tested my plunger to make sure i cant release my striker when the slide is further out of battery. when the factory guide rod is installed there is no issues of the slide hanging up. i'll post some pics to demonstrate my point. post-21442-024276900 1289235576_thumb.jppost-21442-005341400 1289235658_thumb.jppost-21442-047100500 1289235759_thumb.jp tell me what you think, i can tell you i'm going to switch back to the stock equipment

Edited by shasta214

heres the round that was fired when the incident occured, i'm trying to get a good enough shot where you can see the initial point where the striker impacted the round and then slid down as it was pushed into battery. gun locked up and had to press it against a target stand to free the slide.post-21442-058680200 1289236598_thumb.jp

Edited by shasta214

I had the same issues when I tried to run a 13# spring in my PRO. You have to change the striker spring on the M&P's when you mess with recoil springs. The striker spring is overpowering the recoil spring.

I never actually had one fire OOB but I had several strikes in the groove around the primer.

Dan Burwell said they run better if you leave them stock and he is right.

yeah, i'll never use that recoil system again. wish the company had been a little more responsive on the phone than sayingthat my problem was the only one ever and it must have been something else that did it. oh well. lesson learned, no major damage, i'll count that as a win.

I tried a 13# recoil spring, along with a reduced power striker spring, and I could shake the gun out of battery. I didn't want to have it blow up in my hand so I put the stock recoil spring back in!

there is just a little bit of play when the chamber isn't fully locked up but the safety plunger has been deactivated, thats when the round touched off, call it a fluke sure but if its possible i wont use the gun with that system in it.