Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insurance Shot

JThompson

Its a 'style', going for quantity over quality. One of the fast local guys uses this approach. Boy, he goes through a lot of ammo, but he also transitions from target to target faster than almost anyone in the club, and thats including the time to put an extra 1-3 rounds in each target.

Sometimes I'm sure the extra shots were unneccessary. Sometimes they help. He plays the odds and has some good success. I worry what he could do if he decides to stop at the minimum.

I try to shoot the bare mimumum and second guess as little as possible. Still, if I call a miss, then that target is probably getting an insurance shot. Thats the style I'm working on. Swingers are the worst for me, and usually get a 1-2 insurance shots, but not always if I have reasonable confidence and call them all as hits. It all depends on the call.

• 2 months later...

At our local match the other day we had a popper that was stubborn once in a while and a few shooters had to hit it twice to get it to go down. So in my stage planning i figured i would just double tap or drive it down. That is about the only time i have done an insurance shot. But being that i am pretty new to this sport i am learning new things every match..

Semi off-topic here, but I need a clarification.

Isn't that a REF, provided you're hitting within the main target zone? Or does the "same for all shooters" factor outweigh that? (Which, IMVHO, would just mean an excuse for lazy set up...)

I ask because I shot a US popper the other day and hit it about two inches 9 o'clock from center, and it didn't fall. 124 grain 9mm making ~131 PF. (Got a reshoot for stepping on the RO's foot, so it was a non-issue and never got addressed.)

Hope this doesn't turn into a hijack-- but I gotta know.

My entire 20+ person squad was talking about it, so I'm not exaggerating the circumstances...