Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX Tactical Firing Pin

SPDGG

After a lot of use, a snapcaps don't go worn ?

I mean in the center, where firing pin strike.

yes they wear out and need to be replaced, maybe once a year or so, depending on mileage. I can't remember the brand but the red aluminum ones have a rubber primer that seems to hold up well. I had some that were plastic with spring loaded brass primers, they crack and fall apart.

With a little loctite it stays put.

Yep. For a while. ;-)

I agree with Jax.

It's easy enough to monitor with a small scratch on the frame. I degrease the inside and outside threads before the application of blue loctite and mine have not moved. It's much easier to tweak the screw for reliablity at the range while shooting, and mark the screw head location on the frame. You can keep removing and bending the hammer spring also but it's a coarser adjustment. I have heard that some file the end of the strain screw as well so it can seat fully when adjusted. It just seemed harder to do it that way.

Some time back I put a Randy Lee hammer on my 625 and I was surprised how hard the strain screw was to remove, I had to be very careful not to strip the head slot. I have since replaced the slot head screws with allen head screws that are longer and the threads seem tighter. they require very little loctite and need a little heat to be removed.

Edited by toothguy

I just drill a hole in from the side and tap it 4/40. A short grub screw holds the strain screw regardless of power factor or round count.

Ron Power used to sell a kit to do the same thing, but the hole was drilled from the bottom of the frame.

I have seen and like that retention screw method. If I had an issue with it that's what I would do. I got some of these allen screws from Toolguy and they are really tight. The ones that he gave me are not stainless steel and the loctite has turned brown possible due to a corrosion reaction with the metal. They are really on there you need to try it for your self to see.

Some day my son is going to show me how to take and post pictures like Patrick.