Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 Brand and Model for Competition

GlockOp

Okay. Someone had to say it....

In terms of dollar-for-dollar value, nothing beats a Baer Premier II.

There!

:D

Agreed. You can pay more than a Baer costs but in my opinion, you won't get any better. On the other hand, I have a 9mm Trojan on order from Brazos.

I bought a slighly used Bear Premier II, best 1911 I have ever had. After years of buying SA, Kimber, Paras, and Dan Wessons, none of them compared to this used Baer I got! If I can in the future, I will get another one. Better to have "Quality than Quantity".

You could pay more but you couldn't get awhole lot better than a Premier II. IMO

I would put the extra $$$ into a really good trigger job.

Here's my two cents. there are lots of guns out there, some very expensive, some not as much as others.Shoot the best you can afford, whichever brand that happens to be. from my limited experience, most guns are more accurate than i am. Tight groups don't hold much water when you are shooting fast at close targets.Will a $2000 gun shoot better/ more accurately than a $500 gun, probably not that you can notice in a IDPA or IPSC match , but which choice will leave more money to buy bullets and powder with? read practice. :D

I'll bet you $10 that nobody contributing to this thread shoots an "out of the box" stock 1911... and you know why that's a safe bet??? It's because EVERYONE loves tinkering with their guns... almost as much as shooting them. It's for this reason, were I to be just entering the sport, I'd go with the STI Spartan and then start personalizing it to my taste with the money I saved by not going with a semi-custom 1911 right from the get-go.

Trust me on this..

(no, I'm not a doctor.............but I do shoot an Ed Brown B) )

Edited by The Happy Gila

Ford or Chevy? Which one do you drive, or maybe Toyota?

There are lots of good options out there in slightly different configurations and at various prices for the vast array of personal preferences that exist. I over analyze most buying decisions, then end up changing my mind on some little detail after the purchase anyway. It's still fun though!

IMHO, if you are going the cheaper route a STI Trojan is a very good starting point. I have a Sentinel (older rendition of the Sentry) that I love. The Sentry is a few more dollars but I like the checkering and the forged frame. I have had Springers with mixed reviews. I have had a couple of gunsmiths tell me the Sigs are made from good parts but the holter options may be more limited and I have no direct knowledge of them. If you go the more expensive route of custom, there are several guys out there that will build whatever you want. I have three Fusion custom builds and am jumping happy with having what I want the way I want it.

Here's an interesting option. This should be good to go for SS and CDP/ESP (depending on cal).

Dawson Precision Super-Tuned STI Spartan!

Available in 9mm and .45 ACP

Hard Chrome Finish

DP Enhancement Package

DP 1911 Ice Magwell (Gap or No-Gap)

DP Perfect Impact® Optic-Inserted Front Sight Installed

Delivery Before Christmas! Call Now!

$1,195!