Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's Mini 14

Tr82gr

I observed a carbine match earlier this month and it was the first competitive shooting match I have ever observed. I saw lots of different tactical style rifles which are a lot different than the rifle I use for hunting. My question is: How would Ruger’s Mini 14 rank in the world of carbine / 3 Gun competitive shooting? Would it be good enough to use starting out in the sport or should I be considering a different rifle?

The Mini-14 has 2 things against them. Accuracy out 200+ yards, and most people reload them slowly.

It it's a short distance match (like 100yds), and either you practice reloads, or have large enough magazines you don't need to reload (but still practice in-case a mag goes o crap)... you'll be fine.

If you have one, definitely start with it. I did, I know quiet a few others that did too.

I agree with all that BerKim said.

I used my Mini-14 in a rifle side match after our USPSA pitol match once. I did pretty good with it, but the furthest targets were at 80 yards. (They were little bitty plates out at 80 yards though. Looked like about 4", but might have been bigger. I was dinging them pretty reliably.) Everyone else was shooting ARs and my Mini held it's own. Yeah, the mag changes are slower. That's my biggest issue. They can be modified to be as accurate as an AR, but by then you've got as much money in it as you would spend on a nice AR, so unless you just really love the platform . . .

I like the Mini-14. I had to sell mine, but I'll probably end up getting another one.

I started 3 gun with my stock Mini 14. As others have said it is decent out to 150 yds.

There are modifications that won't cost you a lot to get it to shoot better.

Accu-Strut, Cryo the barrel, adjust the gas block, trigger job, extend mag release, good ammo.

Check out www.perfectunion.com for all the information on the MINI. over 130,000 postings.

I'm in California and did not have a way to get an AR until the OLL in 2005.

In 2004 after shooting my stock mini at the 3 Gun Nationals in Reno, I went to ASI and had a custom Mini built. It was the only way I could run with the AR's on the long range stages at the Nationals. It does great with the Black Hills 69 gr.

No problem hitting 10" plates at 360 yds. If you can find PMI preban 40 round mags, they work.

So on most stages you will not have to reload.

Thanks for the information. I do not have a rifle for 3 Gun and have been doing research on the Mini 14. All the online reviews on the 14 rate it very well but I know casual shooting/plinking is different than competitive shooting.

Dude, you're in Corpus already. Drop by Benny's shop and get one of his AR's! Do you have any idea of how many people across the country DONT have an opportunity like that!!!!

Ken,

I hear Benny Hill is the best out there and I saw him at a USPSA pistol match a few weeks ago. I can get his thoughts the next time I see him at a match.

I too started on a mini-14. Being in CA, it is one of the easiest centerfire semi-auto rifles to have, and can do just fine. I shot SMM3Gun last year with one. It burped on me a few times (stuck mags, double feeds) but I also hit a 300ish yrd bonus strobe target with it (Tac Iron). Some mini's are accurate, some are not. The tolerances are different for each one (gas piston, barrel harmonics, stock bedding, ect.) You can shoot one for all that it is worth, but to upgrade the accuracy or any other parts of it is not worth it with quality AR type rifles around. I am now building a 3 gun AR (JP Lower and BCM 18" upper) just because I would like a rifle that I KNOW is a better shot than I am.

If you plan to get into HM at some point, and want to shoot a M1A, than it is good practice with the reloads, and the manual of arms is reasonably similar.