Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shift of impact with different M&P backstraps?

ranger

Has anyone tested to see what the shift of impact (if there is any) between the small, medium, and large S&W M&P backstraps. In other words - if all other variables are the same - will there be a shift in bullet impact between a small backstrap insert and a large backstrap insert for the same pistol, etc.?

I havent noticed a shift in impact per se, but I have noticed an improvement in how the gun points. I have learned that with the large back strap i get a way more consistent point of the gun. On a first to hit drill I get the sights on target alot faster and more consistently. And it seems to give me a better grip on the gun by filling my hand more and thus has seemed to help tame muzzle flip. I get almost no muzzle flip with my .40 and sights track amazingly well.

Nate

have not noticed a change here either, my wife tried the different sizes shot with the medium for a while then prefered the large, the gun has been right on with the same ammo. However there is a measurable difference with different weights of bullets and loads.

I have absolutely noticed that it will shoot tighter groups with different backstraps.

I thought the small felt best until I shot it, the small didn't give me enough to hold on to. The group size went from 3 inches at 15 yards and 1 inch high with the small to all touching at POI with the medium backstrap.

I was amazed at the accuracy, especially since I always hear how INaccurate the M&Ps are.

Obviously its how it fits my hand that made the difference but I was truly stunned at the difference.

I have to agree with Duke's assessment. The small felt great in my hand, but after switching around at my last range session, the medium strap produced the tightest groups. Switched back to the small, and the groups got bigger again. The large was inconsistent all together.

I'm sticking with my Medium insert, but I'm curious to see how stippling the small may turn out, as stippling does add a little size to grips.

I also noticed a difference in grouping. I was having a hard time choosing between the small and medium since they both felt pretty good. It was decided after I put 25 rounds slow fire then 25 rounds rapid fire with each back strap. I could get tighter groups with the medium so thats the one I stuck with.

I would test it out by doing the bench test the way G-man Bart recommends with a rolled towel....change backstraps and shoot again, at least that could remove some technique/human factors and provide an accurate reference to see if it affects the gun itself. Otherwise, I would think the fit of the gun in the hand as it relates to tightness of grip/trigger finger/height of grip etc may produce the effects.

again +1 to fastarget.

I feel as well that the grouping of your particular pistol is going to depend on your proper grip and the ability to keep a firm grip on it during recoil as to how well the repeatability of the shot placement will be. And that testing all the backstraps in as controlled environment as you can get will give results that are only good for you.

I started running the medium backstrap and was very happy with it but couldn't get sight acquisition as quick and consistent as I had liked. So I started experimenting with the others and found the small grip was about the same as the medium but made the gun feel too small in my hands. I then tried the large grip and found that for me that the sight acquisition from draw was considerably faster (wasn't hunting for the sights for first to hit or after a shot was fired) but I wasnt able to get a consistent high grip on the gun during the draw. About 2 out of 10 draws was resulting in a bad grip. So I stopped using the large and went back to the medium.

After a summer's worth of shooting the medium I decided one night while doing dryfire that I would switch back to the large because of the faster sight acquisition and see if I would be able to just train myself to get a consistent grip on it.

Well, as luck would have it I never had any issues with bad grip that night even after some 50 draws. I have since stayed with the large grip because it seems to force my hand up higher on the gun and thus seems to give me much better control of the gun both in terms of recoil and faster follow up shots.

My suggestion is thoroughly test all the grips and see what differences you notice about them and then pick the one now that works best. Shoot it for a few months and try the test again. If there is no noticeable difference then you got the right grip for you. If there is a difference, run that grip for awhile and see if your shooting gets better.

Repeat test as needed..........

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tested to see what the shift of impact (if there is any) between the small, medium, and large S&W M&P backstraps. In other words - if all other variables are the same - will there be a shift in bullet impact between a small backstrap insert and a large backstrap insert for the same pistol, etc.?

No, it still hits right where it is aimed. :surprise: