Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning Draw Tip

Steve Anderson

I discovered and corrected a flaw in turning draw techinque that may be of interest to some.

I have always had a somewhat erratic turning draw, I can do some great ones at times, and really foul 'em up too.

I discovered why last night, while editing my dry fire drills.

My old way had the weak hand joining the gun too high. My weak hand would go from above the shoulder just down to gun level and never below. This caused the gun, at times, to go up a little too high to meet the weak hand halfway, causing a need for downward correction.

I discovered last night that if I pull the weak hand down to the sternum at the instant of the buzzer, while turning and drawing, the hands meet much sooner and lower, and I can pick up the dot much lower and sooner.

I can now fire as the arms are extending on appropriate targets, and more importantly, my index is the same as any other draw.

I actually discovered this while analyzing my feet movement in slow motion.

This took my par time for a dry turn draw from .9 ish to .8 ish, and more importantly, made them much more consistent.

SA

Try this.

Keep going, don't stop at the sternum.

The sooner the weak hand gets on the gun...the sooner that portion of the draw is completed. Which leaves more time/focus for the rest of the draw.

It also may give a bit more time for grip correction (the sooner you have two hands on the gun , the more likely the chance for a grip correction).

yeah I just tried some and my hand goes down to my tummy, just like all my draws. In the book doesn't Big daddy E say something about both hands moving at the same time as a mirror image. Sometimes I still pat my tummy onthe draw.

I don't want to drift this too much, but tell me, what is your right foot doing as you turn (assuming you are RH and turning to the right) I can't decide if I should pivot on my right heal, or pivot on my right ball of my instep, or just let my foot spin however it wants. I am snapping my head to the target and making a good turn with my hips, but I still think something is left undone at this stage.....

Thanks

Mike

perform an about face only to the left. take your left foot, pick it up and set the toe on the ground a few inches behind the right foot. then snap, spin and draw.

however practice makes perfect.

i was shooting 7 second el prez. until i tried the about face method. i tried it for the first time in a match on sunday and acheived a 5.45 second time.