Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What have you learn in the 2010 Nationals?

Yagi

Very interesting posts commenting on the number of penalties the winner had. Apparently you *can* miss fast enough?

I learned that plastic ammo boxes are not airline-proof (unless padded much more than mine were). Fortunately the ammo itself was fine.

I learned that I have more practicing to do and a long way to go, especially in the accuracy department.

I learned that I'm out of shape and have seriously committed to losing some weight now.

I learned that buying new shoes the day before the match is a bad idea, even if you do bring your old shoes as a backup. Once you have blisters it's too late...

Edited by DarthMuffin

I'll post in more detail later but consider this. Nils shot way more penalties than the next 3 or 4 competitors in the match. Going in to the match you can either shoot the points or you can't. Slowing down or being more deliberate won't make you shoot any more accurately, but it will slow you down. Shoot your speed.

I have a slight variation on this revelation. I found that if I slow down and try to be deliberate I found I have this lovely tendency to push the gun down. I then get the (cough) best of both worlds, slow speed and a bunch of shots about an inch into hard cover and NSs.

New/Old rule. Get the sight picture I need as quickly as I can and then press the trigger. Repeat as necessary.

I learned that I need to relax and shoot my sights. Don't dilly dally, but make sure they are there. Index to a non-existent target when coming off a tough shot so I don't leave before I'm done shooting. Know which targets to respect - and respect them.

A little luck goes a long way, too. :)

Tactical breathing exercises before the "Are you ready" command really brought my pulse down and helped me focus and stay calm for the seconds of fury I was about to unleash.

Edited by ausshooter

First of all it was my first Nationals and I guess I got kind of intimidated and nervous. I need to learn to trust myself and like my Cabezon friend tells me all the that I need to actually wait for that front sight to settle into the rear sight before I pull the trigger. Preparation for the next Nationals is to keep my body in good health condition, strength my mindset, and practice as much as I can. Preparation to achieve my goals 1) Hit the gym at least 4-5 times a week, 2) Shoot at least 100-150 rounds at least 3-4 times a week either with my M&P or the 22LR my cabezon friend has lend me and work on accuracy and coordination, and 3) Work on my mental game by either reading or doing Yoga.

National itself was a great time met good people and was part of a great squad. The good thing about next year is that I can't do any worse than I did this year so its looking up.

A conservative plan is a losing plan, I have to go for it.

Yep, my worst stage was 14 where I decided to be real careful with the targets between the no shoots and take my time. Well I ended grazing a no shoot anyway and had a slowwww time to boot. I was thinking too much while I was shooting. My best stages I was just watching my sights and pulling the trigger as soon as they lined up, and being aggressive with my movement.

Stupid Alphas! I learned that if you go slow you might as well go home! First stage all I was thinking was points, shot it slow and innacurate :surprise: ! Stop thinking and SHOOT! Shoot your match at yout pace and adjust accordingly.

Oh, and trying to shoot 85% of Nils ain't going to be an easy task next year! :D