Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm SingleStack Mags

mgood

Appendix D2 -- Limited Division

8. Maximum magazine length . . . 5.561" (141.25mm) or 6.742" (171.25mm) in single stack guns

Say I wanted to shoot Limited with a singlestack 1911 (just hypothetical), does anyone make a ~170mm 1911 magazine?

How many rounds of .40 could you get in there, 14 or so?

I did search. Only found a couple mentions of this and no answers.

14 rounds and the springs will be over stressed and wear out quickly. When I used them I only loaded the mag with 12 rounds until load and make ready, then put the last two rounds in. If I got 10 loads per spring I was happy, it did make shooting Limited alot of fun. The followers will have to be modified to feed properly. Reliability was about 80%, if the first three fed then they all would feed.

It's not that hard to weld two mags together.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Only got 10 or so loadings per spring?

Combined with the 80% reliability, this isn't sounding like a lot of fun. I'd probably go for 10 round mags that are 99.9% reliable rather than deal with all that to get an extra 2-4 rounds per mag.

Edited by mgood

I believe that is something of a left over from before there was a single stack division. It let single stack guns shoot limited without so much disadvantage.

I think the last time I saw anyone do it was Jay Christy. He was shooting a single stack gun in limited with 170 mags. But that would have been like 99 or 2000.

By the way any idea how many rounds of super comp you could get in a 170 single stack mag? I have a friend with a single stack super open gun he built for the Sportmans Team Challenge. He had considered shooting the occasional uspsa match with.

Edited by caspian guy

By the way any idea how many rounds of super comp you could get in a 170 single stack mag? I have a friend with a single stack super race gun he built for the Sportmans Team Challenge. He had considered shooting the occasional uspsa match with.

To shoot Open? Would be Minor in Limited.

I was wondering how many 9mm would fit in a 170mm singlestack mag if someone wanted to shoot Limited Minor.

By the way any idea how many rounds of super comp you could get in a 170 single stack mag? I have a friend with a single stack super open gun he built for the Sportmans Team Challenge. He had considered shooting the occasional uspsa match with.

To shoot Open? Would be Minor in Limited.

I was wondering how many 9mm would fit in a 170mm singlestack mag if someone wanted to shoot Limited Minor.

Yes I was asking about open... I know it is a bit off topic but figured while we were on the subject of 170mm single stack mags I'd pose the question...

9mm/38 super would be the same as the .40, 14 rounds. There will be some free space with the 9mm/38, the .40 is a very tight 14 rounds.

I edited my post above I didn't load the last two rounds into the mag until the load and make ready command.

If you thinking of shooting Limited with your single stack you will find it use full to have mags that hold 9,10,12,and 14 rounds. This way you can set up the mags to be used by how the stages need to be shot. There was a .45 mag that would hold 13 rounds, it was an off brand mag usually found at gun shows.

Rich