Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You See When Doing A Mag Change (picture)

SanduneCC

Does it depend on the gun? Or at least the size of the mag well?

Playing aroun ... uh ... I mean practicing last night, I notice that I keep an STI with a mag well much closer to vertical that I do a H&K P7M8. It seems the margin for error being much smaller requires a much closer view of things.

So, for me, a 2 with the STI and about a 4 1/2 with the H&K.

Incidentally, on a very related topic, what's a decent par time (including reaction time) for a dry fire mag change?

Kevin

I see # two mostly, but # three when going strong hand, reload, weak hand. Although what you see is important, I've found that for me getting the stong hand and arm loose, or tension free is key to getting the mag in the pistol with any kind of reliability. The more I do it the more I think the same is true for both arms. I do tend to keep the pistol high, and as soon as the mag and pistol are together I ever so slightly drive the pistol down on the mag untill seated then drive back on target.

From the first two mag pouches, I am a 3. I have been practicing reloads from the 3rd and 4th mag pouch for the PSA Shootout and have just recently realized that from pouches three and four, I am more of a 4 and 5.

Doe anybody else notice if the further back you get on mag pouches the more you turn your gun?, or is it just me.

Based on the responses regarding how my gun is tipped up too high - I adjusted and sure enough, noticed a huge improvement in how smooth the mag just "glides" in. I didn't even know that I canted too much before and the mag would bump into the well before going in, wasting precious time. Who woulda thought a simple picture can be so educational. Thanks a bunch guys.