Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load evaluation for Glock 34

TheTailor

I am the proud owner of a new Dillon XL650 and have reloading supplies en route. I decided to go with a Montana Gold 147 gr. CMJ, VV320 powder, Federal primers and once-fired mixed brass - the OAL will be at 1.125". My G34 will be setup with a Wolff 13lb recoil spring and 4lb striker.

The starting grains will be at 3.2 and I will work it up to 3.6 grains. Though my Lyman manual does not have load data for this specific cartridge, it has helped immensely with my understanding of basic reloading. For this load specifically, I pulled the data from these forums.

The Lyman manual states that the overall cartridge length may vary by plus or minus .005". In a real-world application, is that the highest tolerance for a completed cartridge, or do I have more wiggle room?

How many rounds of each test load should I assemble for chrono testing and function?

I'm looking for a PF of around 130, when I get to that point, should I stop at the load that results in a PF of 130, or continue to get more data for loads with higher grains? At what PF would I stop at?

Is my goal of 130 PF reasonable for USPSA shooting, or should I go lower/higher?

I will inspect each round for a powder drop, and I have a powder sensor, but I would like to create a squib load so I understand what it would feel like if I make an error, is this a good or bad idea?

Any advice would be appreciated! :devil:

I have loaded a squib to test a squib rod I had made. Just make sure you don't get it mixed in with the rest of your ammo. And have a rod with you that will do the job. With a primer only mine lodged just ahead of the chamber and was actually pretty tough to get out.

I would recommend a target of 135 for minimum PF. I usually load 50 of a given load when I chrono. I run 5 strings of 10. I also set up a target at around 25 yards that I shoot through the chrono this way I know if a load chronos well and groups well or not. It is a little tedious but I shot a load for a few months that was nice and soft but my scores sucked so I shot a group with it and it was about a 10" group.:roflol:

I can only answer to your OAL question. loading 147's for my G34 I'm running a 1.40 OAL and my loads don't vary more than .002 so it seems that .005 is a possibility. I'm using a Dillon 550

I think you will find that 3.6 or 3.7grains will be good. I think I'd make the OAL a tad longer- I was having occasional feed problems with 1.130" that I never have with my Berrys. Like Sarge says- target 135pf or so... you don't want to be too close and it doesn't really get you much anyway.

I can only answer to your OAL question. loading 147's for my G34 I'm running a 1.40 OAL and my loads don't vary more than .002 so it seems that .005 is a possibility. I'm using a Dillon 550

You mean 1.14 right?