Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost to build 1x, low-powered variable scopes

BigDave

I've done some searching, but can't find what I'm remembering (or hallucinating, but anyway).

I was thinking that some time ago someone asked why low-powered variable scopes are so relatively expensive when compared to their bigger, high magnification cousins? Does anyone remember this or know the answer? What I recall is that it has something to do with how complex they are, especially if trying to include a true 1x on the low end. Or, am I imagining things?

I had asked this same question at last year’s buyers group shows prior to the shot show,

the answer I got from Burris was that to go from a true 1 power up to 6-7 or 8 is possible but very complex, difficult and expensive to build as there are many issues with lenses, distortion, recital clarity.

(This conversation was over a year ago so I might be missing some little bits here and there . . . . . but that is what I recall.

I mentioned that if one were to approach a manufacturer rep from the Peoples Republic of China and offer a T&E sample that there would be 25 new companies at the SHOT Show offering a true 1 x 12 x 50 and they would be really affordable and cheap . . . . . . . . . . that kind of went over like flatulence in a house of worship with the Burris rep.

b/c more people ( in the general population-not just our small group) buy the higher power and the low powers are "rare"? A company can sell 100 widgets at $20, but if they only sell 20 gizmos, they need to charge $100 to make the same amount of revenue. just a idea, i really have no clue.

A company can sell 100 widgets at $20, but if they only sell 20 gizmos, they need to charge $100 to make the same amount of revenue. just a idea, i really have no clue.

:huh: Someone's taken business classes to learn such specialized jargon like that. Sounds about right though. I would guess that demand volume, and engineering costs work together to increase the per unit sales price for these niche products. :rolleyes:

A company can sell 100 widgets at $20, but if they only sell 20 gizmos, they need to charge $100 to make the same amount of revenue. just a idea, i really have no clue.

:huh: Someone's taken business classes to learn such specialized jargon like that. Sounds about right though. I would guess that demand volume, and engineering costs work together to increase the per unit sales price for these niche products. :rolleyes:

I did graduate with my business management degree a couple years ago :roflol: .

Edited by Corey