Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17, 12lb wolff, solo 1000, and 147 BBI

whiskeytango

Cross posted from the gun springs forum to get more info...

I've gone through my MG 115's and I bought some of the 147 BBI's to try out as a factor of cost. I primarily shoot a G17 and a G34 in IDPA, but I also like to go and plink with the wife. That being said, I'm trying to come up with a good combo for the wife to shoot the bigger guns and not have to hang on to a handful. I went to the 12lb spring with my 115's (3.4g of TG) and the slide really seems to beat on the frame.

Running a factory spring, or 15lb spring, I'm shooting the 147's with 3.5g of solo with no issues.

From your experience, what is the lowest, reliable charge of solo1000 that I could go with running the 12lb spring in a G17? I've loaded up some test rounds but I have yet to make it to the range, I've got about 10 of each loaded from 3.3, 3.1, and 2.8.

I use a 15lb spring and my gun is reliable weak hand. Solo 1000 at 130PF. You can't compare loads with out knowing OAL and Lot # for Solo 1000 because the lots do vary a good deal. 12lbs seems awefull weak to me. I would watch it for lock up issues with that light a spring.

I use EXACTLY that same load. 147gr BBI with 3.5 gr of Solo 1K. Very accurate and I get a consistent 134-135PF with my current jug. Like 98sr20ve stated though, you need to re-chrono from jug to jug. I used a 12lb. Wolff spring with a Wolff guide rod for many thousands of rounds over a long time with my production Glock 34 and that load with no issues. I did use a lightened striker and a 4lb. striker spring though, so the springs weren't fighting each other so much.

I have since switched back to a ISMI 13lb. spring on a re-captured factory/stock guide rod. I load cast 147's with 3.2gr of Solo for practice without any problems from the 13lb. spring. The 3.5gr load has no issues working with the stock 17lb springs in any of my guns.

Edited by dsmw5142