Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Age Do You Have To Be To Enter?

AndrewD

My Son is 10 (11 in March) and has started shooting IDPA matches at the local level. He shoots a single stack 1911 in ESP. He is very safe and mature for his age and gets his hits (more so than some adults). He has been shooting rimfire rifle since age 7 and clays since age 9. He asked me if he could shoot a IDPA classifier match coming up. I called IDPA and was told he can not and can not even join IDPA until age 12. I explained his shooting experience and was politely told sorry, no exceptions, write a letter to the BOD's if you want, but he can't join until he is 12. I asked where the age 12 rule came from and an answer could not be provided. It then asked why? I was told for liability reasons he could not join IDPA until age 12.

I then called USPSA and asked them if my son could join and shoot. They said of course, as long as he is safe and a parent will supervise him, no problem. I then proceeded to get my son a membership. Interesting how the two associations treat juniors differently. One welcomes them with open arms and the other slams the door in his face.

Nick-

My Son is 10 (11 in March) and has started shooting IDPA matches at the local level. He shoots a single stack 1911 in ESP. He is very safe and mature for his age and gets his hits (more so than some adults). He has been shooting rimfire rifle since age 7 and clays since age 9. He asked me if he could shoot a IDPA classifier match coming up. I called IDPA and was told he can not and can not even join IDPA until age 12. I explained his shooting experience and was politely told sorry, no exceptions, write a letter to the BOD's if you want, but he can't join until he is 12. I asked where the age 12 rule came from and an answer could not be provided. It then asked why? I was told for liability reasons he could not join IDPA until age 12.

I then called USPSA and asked them if my son could join and shoot. They said of course, as long as he is safe and a parent will supervise him, no problem. I then proceeded to get my son a membership. Interesting how the two associations treat juniors differently. One welcomes them with open arms and the other slams the door in his face.

Nick-

I wonder where the got the "Age 12" from. If their "coventant not to sue" you must sign to join is legally binding (a dubious claim), it's irrelevant. If it's not, I wonder what legal precedent or statute they are thinking of when they considered "12" to be the "magic age".

I am going to add "IDPA like" stages to our matches this summer for the kids.

This gets us around the IDPA problem. This is the plan

The Kids will start low ready.

They wil be allowed to use .22

Everyone gets a ribbon.

They shoot for free.

Once we get a chance to see all the kids shoot, We will maybe change to draw and shoot. For now we are just looking to get them started. Maybe no mag changes on the clock. They just want to shoot. My daughter has been helping me at matches for 2 years and as soon as I pick up the .22LR I have waiting at Gander, she will be ready to roll. I have had other shooters ask about this also.

IDPA needs to rethink this policy.