Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38spcl load from 4in Taurus

Rangertim

So when I bought my press it came with .38 spcl dies. I picked up a Taurus model 82 .38spcl revolver in a trade and wanted to work up a Major PF load for revolver (assuming major is the preferred load, not sure what most people are shooting). I use Titegroup for my 9mm loads and Clays for my .45ACP loads. I'm looking for any help on working up a load using one of these two powders I already have. I know the 625JM is the top for Revolver division, but I want to try it with what I have to ensure I like it before spending that kind of cash. I use Montana Gold FMJ for both my .45 and 9mm loads. I like their service and would like to stick with them for ordering purposes, but I'd like to hear what other .38spcl revo shooters are using for their loads. Thanks!

+1 to what Mike said.

I worked up a major PF load using 6.0 gr. Titegroup with 160 gr RN Billy bullets in 38 Spl cases, but I only shoot them in 357 Magnum revolvers [Mod 19 until it snapped a trigger stud, then Mod 586 until IT died from the blast shield breaking out of the frame. Now I'll shoot them in a Mod 686. But I wouldn't try to shoot them in a 38 Spl ANYTHING.

Recommend loading for Minor PF using 158 or 160 gr RN lead bullets with this 38Spl revo.

I would recommend shooting only minor loads in your revolver. I don't know of a Taurus .38 that I would expect to hold up for any length of time shooting major loads.

Is shooting Major in a revolver the "equivalent" to shooting +P loads? Not something you can do with every revolver? It's an all steel frame that is supposed to be rated fine for +P. Thanks.

Shooting major is far above .38spl +P loads. I shot both minor (.37spl) and major (.357mag) with my Ruger GP100 and I estimate that the major loads were between 25,000 and 30,000 psi with 140 and 158gr lead bullets. Looking back, my scores shooting major were little, if any, better than shooting minor.

You have a revolver designed to shoot .38 spl so shoot minor loads with heavier lead bullets (158 gr and up), shoot the A zone as fast as you can, and practice your reloads. Medium-fast powders like N-320, Solo 1000, American Select, Bullseye, or Titegroup should serve you well.

Three more things to consider. When shooting .38 spl loads in my Ruger GP-100, it was very easy to reload the cylinder. I switched to .357 magnum and the cylinder would be very hot after 12 rounds and too hot to touch with bare skin after 18 or 24 rounds. I had to put white medical tape over the ends of the third and fourth fingers of my left hand to avoid burns while I manipulated the cylinder when reloading.

The .357 mag loads blew a lot more hot gases and lead from the B-C gap, even with the gun timed perfectly. I then had to wrap the end of my left thumb (I have long fingers) with white med tape to protect it from the hot gases and lead while I shot. I was quite a sight.

Finally, the recoil and blast from major loads in a small to medium framed revolver should not be underestimated, especially in a long match. The key to this game is to have accurate and reasonably fast first and second shots. Flinch reactions and fatigue can come on more quickly than you think when shooting hot loads from a small or medium framed revolver.

My advice is to enjoy your Taurus with the .38 spl rounds it was designed to shoot.

Chris

That load is probably +p and maybe over, just to make minor. You really want a much heavier bullet than is normal for .38 to make major, so it's not worth trying, especially in a small frame gun. The main thing with a revo is to get the hits and not spend much time reloading - there's no cushion for make up shots.

.38 Special Major is in the realm of the old .38-44 High Velocity meant only for large frame guns like the S&W Heavy Duty or Colt New Service. That would put you in what is now called +P+ and would be hard on the gun and hard on the shooter.

A good stout Minor load of a 158 gr RN at 800 fps is the way to go. I use a maximum standard pressure load of 231. Moly coated bullets will reach that velocity at a lower powder charge than jacketed or plated. Cast will, too, but the smoke from smoldering bullet lube is aggravating.