Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 spcl load for 4in Revolver

Rangertim

So when I bought my press it came with .38 spcl dies. I picked up a Taurus .38spcl revolver in a trade and wanted to work up a Major PF load for revolver. I use Titegroup for my 9mm loads and Clays for my .45ACP loads. I'm looking for any help on working up a load using one of these two powders I already have. I know the 625JM is the top for Revolver division, but I want to try it with what I have to ensure I like it before spending that kind of cash. I use Montana Gold FMJ for both my .45 and 9mm loads. I like their service and would like to stick with them for ordering purposes, but I'd like to hear what other .38spcl revo shooters are using for their loads. Thanks!

Rangertim, you may get a few more hits if your post was in the revo section. As for loads you did not state what size your Taurus is, small medium or large frame. I basicaly shoot minor in revos. It saves wear and tear on the revo and me. I use the 160 grain Billy Bullet, lead moly coat. With Solo 1000 at 4.4 grains for the 4 inch. I would start low at maybe 4.1 and see what it goes in your revo. Using Jacketed bullet you can count on a 100 fps loss with the same loads. Goos luck and be careful. later rdd

If your gonna shoot a "K" frame sized gun I would strongly suggest not shooting a major PF. To achieve Major you would have to run a 158gr. bullet at 1044fps. That is .357 mag velocity and constant use will surely beat up and loosen up the gun prematurely. This will affect accuracy badly. So keep to minor and prolong the accuracy of your gun. As far minor PF goes, Titegroup would be a great choice for lighter bullets like a 125gr. Very accurate and is not case position sensative. In a heavier bullet like a 158/160gr I like a little slower powder like HP-38/WW-231(HP-38 and WW-231 are identical powders)it has proven very acurate with most bullets Ive tried it in. Recoil is milder with a slower powder versus fast powders like Titegroup with the heavier bullets of 150gr and up and is easier on the gun. Ive also had some good luck with HP38/WW231 in the lighter 125's.

In my 5.5" ported 686 using a 148gr coated lead bullet with 4.8gr of HP38 I get 825 fps. for a PF of 122 for ICORE and 1" 5 shot groups at 25yds. Just to show you how accurate HP-38/WW-231 is for me. Before you use my load take into account It is a low +P load. I use a light taper crimp (to prevent lead shear of the bullet) which reduces the hold back of the bullet. So it needs a little more powder to achieve velocities than if using a tight roll crimp that holds the bullet back.

Edited by BallisticianX

Softer, a little cleaner depending on how hot your 231/hp38 loads are. But very fast. Im using Clays to make 135pf in my 4inch 686 with a 158gr LRN and not having any issues. Ive actually found the load here or on IDPA forum, but its well above published data but below the highest load I found.

Clays is a faster powder than TG or WW231/HP38. Clays is about the same burn rate as Red Dot. Faster powders create ther pressure potential faster than a slower one. So all things being equal, clays will burn out before Titegroup and titegroup before 231. Slower powders create more gas and creates it over a longer period than its faster counterpart. A faster powder is a good choice in shorter barrels like a 2" with its limited time in the barrel. And a slower powder is more beneficial with a longer barrel like a 6".

In a 4" revolver I like the mid range burn rate pistol powders like WW231/HP38 for stout 120-145pf loads. The slower powders are my choice because of the consistancy and recoil is less sharp than with a faster powder. With light target/plinking loads in a 4" barrel either the fast or slower powders work well, it will depend on what the gun likes.