Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regional And State Matches

JasonK

What kind of shooting volume do you expect? Not how loud you are when shooting! How many stages would you like to see in a major IDPA match and what would you like to see for a total round count?

Edited to add:

How long a match can you stand? I think most people prefer one day matches. How about if the match runs from 9am to 6pm? That would include scoring and awards ceremony.

For a State/Section IDPA match:

9-12 stages.

135-180 rounds

1 day format**

**Actually I prefer a 1/2 day shooting format. Generally speaking, I will NOT attend a multi-day match unless the term National Championship is involved. And if anyone is questioning whether a quality match can be shot in a 1/2 day format, I would suggest shooting the NE Championship at Cortland, NY in May. They run 10 stages in a 1/2 day format and it is GREAT!!!

I think 10 to 15 stages for a state level match. Round count should be 150 to 200 rounds. I also like to shoot the entire match in one day.

With IDPA you should have more stages because of the lower round count for each start. I have seen some nice matches where there were 2 or 3 stages in each bay. It is important to have each bay take the same amount of time to stop back ups. :(

The Northeast IDPA Championship is on our list of possible matches this year. :D

Bill Nesbitt