Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Last World Shoot

lenard

I shot that match Lenard.

It was my first overseas experience and it was a blast.

The stages were excellent, and the props were better than anything I have seen since, and most importantly the competition was as good as it gets.

There was a lot of complaining about the swingers/bobbers I think there were 42 of them in 35 stages and they sure sorted this boy out from the men, but they were an excellent experience and I knew they would be there before going. I should have worked harder on them in practise.

Of course the match introduced me to a very different culture and I met some awesome people.

P.D.

ditto on Phil's comments. The fellas in Cebu did an incredible job with the stages (and props). I wish we had more of that stuff here in the states. (good, challenging stages, that is.)

be

I agree that the stages were interesting and fun, but there could have been a bit more shooting.  35 stages and less than 400 rounds comes out to hardly having to reload.  As I recall, I had to reload (in Modified Division) five or six times in the whole match.  The Open shooters never had to reload.

Adding one target or steel to each stage would not have turned it into a hosefest, and upped the fun factor.

As fun as it was, I'm not anticipating going back.

There are some reasons for the round count. They wanted lots of stages but since most had to fly in, weight restrictions on luggage prevented many from taking large quantities. For any match you generally want to take double the requirement. This covers extra shots (which we all take), reshoots, sighting in, and any unexpected problems. Trying to take 700 or more round of .38 super or similar on a plane is pushing it, .40 forget it. A friend of mine got hit pretty heavy in airline charges when his ammo for the Florida Open came in over weight. I can imagine the result when flying halfway around the world. Plus I like smaller stages, set up right they test shooting every bit as much as the bigger but without getting boring by just stuffing the range full of targets. A couple more might help but if they get carried away you end up with every stage being a hosefest trying to get too many targets into a shooting bay. I would rather shoot 400 rounds in 35 stages, than 400 in 20 stages, makes a more interesting match.

Pat

Thank you all for your comments. I am from the Philippines but I missed World Shoot XII because of my work. I missed the chance to see all you guys shoot. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the match. BTW, matches in Cebu almost always have 2-3 moving targets per stage.