Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GG&G MAD BUIS with Ranging Aperture

alzo

The GG&G MAD BUIS with ranging aperture has a disc in the rear sight with different apertures that are calibrated for varying distances. The aperture marked "0" is supposed to be the 25 yard and 200 yard zero, the one marked "3" is 300 yards etc. The sight is supposed to be calibrated for bullet weights from 55gr - 62gr fired from a 16 inch barrel. Can anyone explain to me how the "0" aperture can be zeroed for both a near zero of 25 yards AND a far zero of 200 yards ? Every ballistics table and internet post I can find says that a 55gr round zeroed at 25 yards will have a far zero out around 350+ yards, and that the near zero that "pairs" with 200 yards is 50 yards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The GG&G MAD BUIS with ranging aperture has a disc in the rear sight with different apertures that are calibrated for varying distances. The aperture marked "0" is supposed to be the 25 yard and 200 yard zero, the one marked "3" is 300 yards etc. The sight is supposed to be calibrated for bullet weights from 55gr - 62gr fired from a 16 inch barrel. Can anyone explain to me how the "0" aperture can be zeroed for both a near zero of 25 yards AND a far zero of 200 yards ? Every ballistics table and internet post I can find says that a 55gr round zeroed at 25 yards will have a far zero out around 350+ yards, and that the near zero that "pairs" with 200 yards is 50 yards.

Has anybody here had any experience with this sight? Curious to see how effective the calibrations are,

I haven't tried it as far as to really pinning it down like benchresting it, but I found the settings to be "close" as in on the 25/200 setting it would strike an IPSC size metal plate at 200 and hit (close) on the 300 setting at 300. As a BUIS Back Up Iron Sight I think it accomplishes the goal. More precise irons are avail.

The concept of that 25/200 is that when the front post is "zeroed" in that window for a shooter, he/she can hit a human size target from muzzle to 200. The hit would be considered acceptable from the waist to the head in that regard.