Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel length for 3 gun & a new gun

1911vm

Hey gents. Two shot gun questions

First for 3 gun what is the best barrel length? Both in heavy metal and tactical divisions.

And has any one plaid or seen Remington versa max?

Looks promising

Edited by 1911vm

First for 3 gun what is the best barrel length? Both in heavy metal and tactical divisions.

1911vm,

The search function works wonders dry.gif

the top guns usually use a 21-26" barrel in tactical....HM seems to follow suit.

I tried but it did not work well. I was just wondering if 26 was to long ? this new shot gun comes with the shortest at 26.

1911vm,

The search function works wonders dry.gif

the top guns usually use a 21-26" barrel in tactical....HM seems to follow suit.

I tried but it did not work well. I was just wondering if 26 was to long ? this new shot gun comes with the shortest at 26.

26" is about as long as people use (typically) but should be fine...I run a 22" but have an extension which I will use periodically which will make the length equivalent to a 30" barrel haha

I have a 21" M2 and a 24" M1. I like the shorter lighter gun better. It seems to swing better in transitions and the light weight feels better when loading weakhand with gun still mounted on my shoulder.

I would stray away from the new cool shotgun for 3 gun. In competition you run a shotgun hard which usually brings out the weaknesses in a shotgun design. You need to be ready to fix those problems before or when they occur. The current popular shotgun (M1,M2, 1100, Nova, SLP,etc) have the least issues and typically somebody on this forum can help you fix what doesn't work. With a new shotgun you are on your own. I'm not saying you couldn't make that gun run in 3 gun. I'm just trying to point out the fact that the shotgun is the gun that requires the most attention.

Edited by jtischauser

The Remington Versa is nothing but hype at this point. Why the industry elects to market hard months before they can deliver product is a method I have never understood. Like most gun shops, my local retailer has all of the hype, none of the product, and no idea when it will become available.

Keep in mind that MSRP for this is about $1475.00 which is basically Remington trying to get a Berreta price. Maybe it will be worth it but at this point no one knows. You can certainly score a host of other shotguns which have proven themselves to be reliable competition shotguns for much less than this price.

The manner in which gas system is designed is interesting. I can appreciate the concept. I see the gas ports actually in the chamber which is where you are more likely to get the most unburned powder. I can also see how it can get clogged rather rapidly but I hope I am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad always told me never by the first year model of any car and I follow suit with that on weapons as well. Who knows on parts availability, 3gun aftermarket parts that fit etc. And that is pricy, not to say it won't work but alot to bet on the unknown. As for barrel length, can't go 18 if you want a tube to hold the max amount of round for division. Mag tube would extend 4 inches past the end of the barrel, it might work but it would be ugly as sin :devil:

If there is a choice between a 18in and 26in barrel. Which one and why?

18" for clearing houses. The shorter barrel handles more easily in hallways and around doors.

26" for playing games (3-gun, clays, or otherwise). The longer sight radius helps with aiming, especially with a vent rib.