Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sugestions for 2nd Match?

cutter304

Shot my first IDPA match the other weekend after a over 20 year lay off from being a C shooter in IPSC. I achieve what I wanted which was to go slow and learning how IDPA works and how the local club does things. Ended up in the top 10 for accuracy and in the bottom 1/4 overall. Like I said I went slow. Also had 3 FTF, 1 FTE a hit on a no-shoot (that slow thing) and 1 PE.

Any comments on what to focus on for the next match? My plans are to reduce or elimate the malfunctions by replacing old mags and doing a better job in lubing the 1911. Work on the speed thing and PEs by finally giving up on the Weaver and buying Matt's videos to update my technique.

Getting a good handle on the rules and paying attention to the COF is a great place to start, as well as being safe. Spee will come but don't force it, you can only shoot as fast as you can see what you need to see to get your hits. Getting your hits is everything in IDPA as well as not getting penalty points.

Get your gun working 100% and go have fun and relax.

Repeat, get a handle on the major rules.

There is no need to learn them three seconds at a time.

Some of us are not crack shots and a few points down and even the occasional HNT is going to contribute to the total.

But Procedural Error penalties ought to be darned rare.

Shot my first IDPA match the other weekend after a over 20 year lay off from being a C shooter in IPSC. I achieve what I wanted which was to go slow and learning how IDPA works and how the local club does things. Ended up in the top 10 for accuracy and in the bottom 1/4 overall. Like I said I went slow. Also had 3 FTF, 1 FTE a hit on a no-shoot (that slow thing) and 1 PE.

Any comments on what to focus on for the next match? My plans are to reduce or elimate the malfunctions by replacing old mags and doing a better job in lubing the 1911. Work on the speed thing and PEs by finally giving up on the Weaver and buying Matt's videos to update my technique.

If I am the on-deck shooter, I try to visualize how I am going to shoot the COF, and make sure that I am ready to go once the targets are scored for the shooter ahead of me. I try not to be the last one pasting targets, and then have to rush back to the line to begin my stage.

Learn the rules. Stay relaxed.

Learn the commands. Stay relaxed.

Learn the (various kinds of) reloads. Stay relaxed.

Learn where the down zero circle is. Very important to KNOW where to aim at the target without having to look for the perforations for the down zero.......

Just shoot...while staying relaxed.

Edited by Merlin Orr