Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-44

Guest nmchenry

Guest nmchenry

The starting position for CM 99-44 "Claim Yumpers of Ballard Creek" is kneeling with back to target.  Box size is 4x4.  Must one rise to a standing position or might one try to spin around and shoot from kneeling, or even throw themselves on their rear to shoot.  I ask this as I am a 49 year old 250 lb. woman shooter who has difficulty going from kneeling to standing.  I think I would prefer to shoot with my rear on the floor.  Also, in the process of getting into a shooting position is it acceptable for a leg or hand to touch outside the box as long as once one fires everything is inside?  Thanks for any help.

WOW, I have never shot this one. I had to go give it a look. As far as getting into a shooting position the stage description did not say you had to stay on the "platform" (how did they make a platform?). You could do anything necessary to get into a shooting position.  As long as nothing touches the ground on the outside of the platform while you are shooting you are ok. As far as a shooting position that is a tough one. Since you are facing uprange if you turn and sit, drawing would be difficult. I think, since you have a problem standing quickly (my knees arn't so great either) that you would be better off getting as far as you can towards the targets to give yourself as much room as possible to turn and not have your feet hang over and shoot kneeling. Your draw would be much safer (seems like it would be easy to sweep your feet if you were sitting) and there would be one less movement. I hope I don't run across this one anytime soon! How did you shoot it? How did the "hot rods" shoot it? I think I would have to stand. The thought of trying to turn on my knees is not pleasent (I've had two surgeries on my right knee) and I would be wearing knee pads.

Guest nmchenry

Actually I have not shot it yet but I know it is coming up soon.  I will let you know what I do and what the other, more athletic ones do.  Except for the the starting position it seems like an easy one.

I have shot this a couple times and I ended up standing up, turning and drawing. Let me say to those of you who haven't done it and are thinking of "alternative" options. Try this at home with a unloaded weapon first. The probability  of sweeping yourself or to break the 180 is quiet good. For those of us who aren't in the running to make the top score for this classifier. It would be best if we focus on being safe, having a good time and just getting this stage over with. 

You can do what you have to do to get into position, just don't fire outside of the box!

I hate this classifier :-)  See my "hate" on bad course design!

You could also invoke the "unable to do" rule (I sure hope it's in the new book!) and take the penalties.  You should probably get a ruling from Amidon on any position you want to try, since it is a classifier.

Fastest way to shoot this stage that I have witnessed is to use knee pads and spin on one knee.......probably isn't the designers original intent......I will probably try it that way if I run across this one again. Never have shot this one up to my ability........

I was going to include this classifier in our annual special, but I decided not to include it for two reasons:

1. Safety issues with drawing while turning on the knees.

2. The overall age, physical ability, and experience of some our shooters would probably make the experience a bit unpleasant.

Still, the classifier is a test of shooting ability and should be left in the book. If you call the USPSA office they will tell you that it is up to the folks at the local level to decide whether or not the course of fire is suitable for the shooters in their area. They (USPSA) have made a real effort to see that there is a lot of diversity in classifiers in order to give clubs flexibility in what they want to set up.