Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Engine Quits

DogmaDog

AAAArrrrrgghghh!

I hate that my stupid engine suddenly and catastrophically died on the way to a match! Yeah, there has been an odd rattling sound for a couple weeks...I was gonna get that looked at when I went for my next oil change. But I'm cruising down the highway (in Louisiana, suspended over a swamp, with nowhere to go), and the engine goes from humming to grinding with no warning. I press the clutch, and the tach drops to ZERO in about .2 seconds. Damn!

After a state trooper pushes me bumper-to-bumper for 5 miles to get me off the freeway (thanks LSP), I discover no maintenance garages are open on Sunday (at least none that look reputable).

Damn! Finally a good day to shoot (the last two weekend matches have been rained out), and my car dies. I'm also supposed to drive to the FL open this Thursday...any bets as to whether my car is repaired in time??

:angry:

DogmaDog

People like me, who drive old trucks, can relate Dog! Stuck in the middle of a swamp/badlands/mountain pass with a tranny that smells like burning asphalt and nothin but eyeballs lookin back from the trees. BTDTGTTS :lol:

Another good reason guys like us should always carry enough guns and ammo to shoot a match and a backpack with a hydration system. Now, let's go kill somp'in, I'm hongry!

Uggg...just got off the phone with "Boudreaux" at the shop. He speaks a barely understandable Cajun dialect, but leads me to believe that the motor is "locked up" and will need to be replaced...not cheap.

:angry::angry::angry:

Thanks for sympathizing, and letting me vent

DD

I fell your pain, DogmaDog. I had my car quit on the way to a match too. On my way to the local match, 7:30AM on a Sunday, I decided to stop for fluids and snacks, only to come back out of the store and notice that my starter gave up the ghost. My wife was not pleased with the early morning rescue request :(

Vlad

Normally those American V8's run for ever, you must have done something wrong guys!? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I was driving a car with a Ford/Mazda V6.

How on earth do they build an engine with 5 cylinders? What will those crazy Europeans think of next? Must be some mania induced by the metric system or something.

:huh::P

DogmaDog

Must be some mania induced by the metric system or something.

Guess, us Europeans are a little bit crazy. But there's no substitute for downsized, fuel injected and turbocharged cubic centimeters :)

My wish is: never, ever having an enginefailure when driving to a match! And furthermore: never, ever again for other competitors all over the world!

DVC, Henny.

PS. Audi Quattro, 4 wheel permanent drive, passengercar, 5 cylinders-in-line, runs superb (according to my opinion "engineers" took a 10 cylinder-engine and divided it by 2 B)

Hahahah.

Schmitz, I'm just joshing you (as I'm sure you know).

Boudreaux at the repair shop says a replacement motor for my car would cost..........$3600 (just a few hundred more than the blue-book value of the car), plus labor. AAAahaahahaha!

Any of you IDPA guys need a car as a range prop?

Actually, for a replacement car, I'm considering a VW Jetta with a Diesel engine...like 50 mpg with that thing!

DD

DogmaDog,

That's a lot of money for a replacement engine!

The Jetta Diesel is a good choise, with a little maintainance those Volkswagens run forever! But: always ask for a new timing belt, check the hydraulic tappets and the thermostat!

Erik,

Quote: "Mark Donahue&Herbert Muller (a long time ago :rolleyes: ) made history with the Sunoco Porsche 917/30. Running the Typ912/51 engine (in America considered as a small block) with two turbochargers, mechanical fuel injection and intercoolers developed, with boost up, nearly 1300 hp propelling the 1,760lb Spyder."

They took the car flat out at 245 mph along Mulsanne, Le Mans. (24-hours, endurance)

And that was back in 1972, since then I'm addicted to small displacement engines with a lot of horsepower!

(After Porsches appearance, Can-Am racing changed the rules :( )

DVC, Henny Schmitz.

Erik,

I don't have the answer either, I'll look into that and come back to you! What I do know is that Toyota had an experiment with a 6 cilinder-in-line turbo-charged 2-stroke engine, but they've aborted the project. Why, I don't know! :(

DVC, Henny.

Pollution&lubricating problems forced Toyota, and they are now in F1, to abandon the 2-stroke engine project.

They went back to 4-stroke engines, and as Mr. Honda long time ago stated: "there should be no oil in the combustion chamber." :P

Henny.