Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I had a momment

carlosa

The zen of speed shooting is not to "try" to shoot fast but to have the patience to wait for the shot to "show it's self" and executing at that point. It is through the development of physical ability that the time it takes for the shot to show it self is reduced.

I need to practice patience :)

I know this.....I believe this...now I just have to execute this plan consistantly. Why does it seem so hard??

Because the nature of our sport makes us feel like we have to rush. Therefore we have the key words: visual patience.

For the rest of your life, before you shoot every stage, make programming a state of visual patience a way of life.

be

I know this.....I believe this...now I just have to execute this plan consistantly. Why does it seem so hard??

Because the nature of our sport makes us feel like we have to rush. Therefore we have the key words: visual patience.

For the rest of your life, before you shoot every stage, make programming a state of visual patience a way of life.

be

Visual patience is something I know I can do, I have learned to use patience in other endevors, but I found myself forgetting during practice today. I think it is going to take some concentrated effort to be visually patient.

is something I know I can do, I have learned to use patience in other endevors, but I found myself forgetting during practice today. I think it is going to take some concentrated effort to be visually patient.

Yes. Add visual patience to your pre-shoot routine. As you are visualing shooting the stage, add the feeling of visual patience to each shot. As you are making ready, tell yourself that you are going to wait for it, no matter how long if feels like it takes.

be

This is another one of the very cool things I have learned here. When I began to practice visual patience, I noticed at first that I would include a pause. (Brian has written about the pause principle elsewhere, good stuff.) The nature of the sport being what it is, I wanted to understand how this pause was refelcted on the shot timer. It was always about 0.10 second. For a long time it was 0.10. And I happily accepted the 0.10 second, because a miss takes much longer to make up.

Then one day, I noticed that the timer read the same whether I paused or not. :ph34r: (I was mostly timing on plate racks, so it was easy to observe and record the times.) The only difference was whether I hit all the plates or not. Pausing, I hit them very consistiently. Not pausing, same time on a clean run, but with fewer clean runs.

So, I began to wonder....When is a pause no longer a pause in time???

When the pause becomes attention.

A pause, is by definition, a time related event. Attention is unrelated to time and does not even know that time exists.

In my case, training to pause eventually became training to not rush. Doing something (pausing) takes time. Not doing something takes no time.

When the pause becomes attention.

A pause, is by definition, a time related event. Attention is unrelated to time and does not even know that time exists.

In my case, training to pause eventually became training to not rush. Doing something (pausing) takes time. Not doing something takes no time.

That's it! Well said, reading it gave me the chills.

You learn to pause by recognizing that you paused, so it is measurable. But with practice, the "pause" becomes integrated with the uninterrupted activity. So at that point it's still recognizable, but not measurable.

be

• 7 months later...

You learn to pause by recognizing that you paused, so it is measurable. But with practice, the "pause" becomes integrated with the uninterrupted activity. So at that point it's still recognizable, but not measurable.

be

A revolver cylinder that I was working on popped from my grasp.

The reaction started before the “Oh shit.”

A hand whirled below the falling cylinder before it could hit the concrete floor.

My observation was not “out of body.”

I watched as if my hand was separate from my body and mind.

The hand had moved on its own.

The hand caught the cylinder.

After I came out of “IT” the speed and precision of my hand wowed me.

No anticipation, no practice, no programming, no mind, a pure reaction to the moment.

Mushin.

This was not a unique experience; some might not even contemplate it,

to me it was a small wondrous moment of awareness.

be

A revolver cylinder that I was working on popped from my grasp.

The reaction started before the “Oh shit.”

A hand whirled below the falling cylinder before it could hit the concrete floor.

My observation was not “out of body.”

I watched as if my hand was separate from my body and mind.

The hand had moved on its own.

The hand caught the cylinder.

After I came out of “IT” the speed and precision of my hand wowed me.

No anticipation, no practice, no programming, no mind, a pure reaction to the moment.

Mushin.

This was not a unique experience; some might not even contemplate it,

to me it was a small wondrous moment of awareness.

I love those!

be