Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell pouch for a shotgun match?

Hello all,

I'm going to shoot a shotgun only match next month. This is a first for me (I'm a total shotgun newb), and it's likely to be a rare occurance. With that in mind, is it reasonable to use some sort of belt pouch to carry my shells, or is that a train wreck waiting to happen? I'd rather not dump the money into real carriers since I'm probably only going to use them once per year, but I will if the pouch is just a horrible idea.

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by Cavediver

You can load out of a sporting clays bag but its gonna be sssssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwwww. Order yourself 2-3 choate 6 round caddies for $40-60. If you decide you don't want them you can alwasy sell them here for a few bucks less than you paid.

Edited by jtischauser

You can load out of a sporting clays bag but its gonna be sssssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwwww.

If ya think that's slow, you should see my transitions :lol:

If you are going to use a pouch, make extra sure you don't stuff a shell in the tube backwards...

That's a pretty good point, one I really hadn't thought about. Another pro for the shell caddies.

Depending on where you are and who is around you as far as shooters go, you might be able to borrow a couple caddies from someone ...

There are probably going to be a bunch of folks there (Riverbend Gun Club, Ga), but I'm going to be in the minority shooting a 20ga. That pretty much precludes me from borrowing gear :(

Ah well. I'll ponder on it for a day or two, and probably order a couple on Monday. The Choate and CCW 6 shell holders are petty reasonable and seem to have a decent reputation. I've read that people have good success using them with 20ga shells by lining them with the fuzzy side of velcro. If that doesn't work, I've got the tools and materials to fabricate some cutsom spacers.

Cave, Ill be at the match as well ... Ive got 2 of the 4 shell caddies that you can borrow if you want. Also, give Joe Harris of Creekside Firing Range a call and see if he has any caddies tht he wants to sell from when his daughter was shooting a 20gauge.

My caddies are for 12 gauge.

Looking at the stages its gonna take a minimum of 4, 4 round caddies .... there is only one stage with an empty start, but its only a 16 round stage keeping a dump pouch with a coulpe rounds in it wouldnt hurt to give you a couple extras.

Cave, Ill be at the match as well ... Ive got 2 of the 4 shell caddies that you can borrow if you want. Also, give Joe Harris of Creekside Firing Range a call and see if he has any caddies tht he wants to sell from when his daughter was shooting a 20gauge.

My caddies are for 12 gauge.

Looking at the stages its gonna take a minimum of 4, 4 round caddies .... there is only one stage with an empty start, but its only a 16 round stage keeping a dump pouch with a coulpe rounds in it wouldnt hurt to give you a couple extras.

Cool!

I was thinking your screen name looked familiar!

I think 4 rounds are beyond my coordination level... I'm going to do a bunch of practicing between now and then, so we'll see. I'm also going to try and hit Trigger Time tomorrow morning (new indoor range in Buford). I've got a pair of chokes and a couple of different shells to pattern test. The match coordinator said 50'ish should be the maximum range; I have no idea how the 20ga will do at that distance.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...