Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first and only rifle

kimberacp

Never had a MOR and was looking for something to get into. Came across at Turner's a "like new" Savage 10FP Tactical/308, for $300.00 dollars. I couldn't pass on it. Yes, I would have liked a Remington but 300.00 dollars, not too bad for a first timer wanting to learn.

The only thing that is on my mind is the stock. I do want to change the stock and didn't want to go over on an expensive stock for a Savage rifle.

Am thinkg Bell & Carson, less than 300.00 dollars, I can get a decent scope and still be under 1000.00 dollars.

Funny thing is that the rifle is chamber for .308 but it has a long action receiver? I did see a Savage 110FP, 300 Win, with a Mcmillan A5 stock and cheapie stock/mount combo for 1200.00 dollars at a local pawn shop. I thought it was over priced, I did like the A5 stock but was thinking why would anyone mount a Mcmillan on a Savage?

From what I have been reading on the Savage rifles, their not that bad of a rifle.

Any suggestions as far as a stock or anything else would be appreicated.

thanks

Don't sell the Savage rifle short.. They can be shooters for sure... I have a friend that put his Savage in a XLR aluminum stock, the ergo's are good, and the rifle will shoot lights out...

Try not to settle on too cheap of a scope, the glass on your rifle will make huge difference..

Get out, shoot the gun... Buy some Federal gold match, and have fun..

Check out the Manner's stocks, I have handled a few and they were top notch.

+1 - Just put a Manners MCS-T4 on a 700 with Surgeon bottom metal. It is SWEET! (BTW - I thought long and hard about a Savage or Remmy. They are both great guns and known for out of the box accuracy.)

Have fun!

Kyle

The stock differences between fiberglass and aluminum are a personal preference. With fiberglass, if you want a mag fed gun you have to buy bottom metal to make that happen. To me if you add up the cost of stock, bottom metal and a bedding job. You can have over 1k invested.

With aluminum stocks like Mcree or Xlr just torque down the action insert a mag and go For around 700.00. YMMV

before you swap out the stock, i would put 100+ rounds of .308 ball through it and decide what you do/don't like about the current stock. if it is a new 10FCP, it should (or at least may) have the savage aluminum bedded accustock, which may actually give you satisfactory accuracy. also - if it is a model 10, it <should> be a short action, the 110's are the savage long action model for 30-06 length cartridges

thanks, for all the inputs! I did look at the XLR stock, and afew others like Mcgree and Competition Shooting Stuff. XLR was really cool.

I will shoot it firts than decide but the action is definitly a long action but chambered in .308. I guess that could be good when swapping barrels?

thanks again.