Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Dragging On Sv

BigDave

A while ago, I had a problem with the slide on my SV sticking. Since then, a few taps on the ejector and the problem was gone. Just to be sure, I let a local gunsmith look it over (who knows the S_I platform very well) in my presence and he said that that everything looked and felt to be in order.

Yesterday at a plate match, and thankfully not until the end of my final run :angry: , the problem returned. The slide move freely from battery rearward 1.25" (just a visual) and then you feel a drag on the slide that makes it difficult to pull back any further. It is not the hammer; it moves past fully cocked freely.

I haven't taken the gun appart because I'm half tempted to take it back to the gunsmith "as-is" to let him see or feel the problem for himself. Or, is this a simple problem someone here has experienced also that I can fix myself?

Big Dave --- had the exact same thing happen on an SV Open gun; turned out to be a bent ejector. The slide was a "pre" interchangeable breechface model and I really had to take the file to the new ejector to get it to work properly. Weird, the gun functioned fine for over 10,000 rounds before it somehow got bent.

Should mention that it bent top-to-bottom not side-to-side.

Is it possible your ejector is long enough that it sticks over the rear end of the mag?

And when you remove the slide and insert a mag, there is only a tinny wee bit of clearance?

Try slamming the mag in. See if you hit the ejector pushing it up thereby binding your slide.

HTH. ;)

Thank you all for your valuable input.

Since my 'smith will be out of town for a period of time, I figured there was nothing to loose by looking at this myself. When I took the slide off, the bottom of the ejector was not contacting the frame. I tapped it with the wooden hammer handle, it went down and grease oozed out from beneath it. I ended up taking the ejector off: everthing looks okay, the pin is not malformed or anything. I did notice a small burr on the left side of the ejector (as it sits in the while aiming it) and I ground that off. I cleaned it up and put just a touch of nail polish (thanks honey :wub: ) on each of the legs and reinstalled it. Slide on, hand cycles like it should.

We'll shoot it this week and see what happens. The last two times its happend, it only took about 125-150 rounds to figure it out.

Mc - I checked the mag, and I guess if I was really slamming the tube up there, it could have happened. But, during the match, I didn't have to perform a speed reload, and I'm not rammy when I seat my initial mag. But I'll definately keep it in mind for the future. Thanks.