Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland Model 012

Greg G

Just wondering if other people have this problem, I have a safariland 012 and it really knocks around the finish on my gun. I have a hardchromed STI that is very new and already has very mild scratching. Is normal.... coz if it is I don't like it...

Greg,

What part is it scratching? If it's the trigger guard, I have no suggestions. But if it's at the muzzle, there's replacement "muzzle platform" that uses a spud inside the muzzle instead of the "cup" that comes from the factory. That might remedy your problem if you're getting scratches on that part.

My 1911 has a stainless frame, and there are some marks on the trigger guard from the 012, but I really hadn't noticed until I read your post. I guess I worry more about performance than cosmetics. :wub:

Alan~^~

The muzzle block is plastic...that won't do anything to chrome. Neither will the trigger block....that's plastic, too.

The only problem was the scope mount on my open gun hitting the left side interior of the holster body. Gun wouldn't align properly. Had to mill the holster out a little to clear.

Chrome is harder than hell. A holster shouldn't do any damage. Perhaps something else is doing the scratching?

I get a lot of aluminum residue off my 012 because I've used the p*** out of it and the anodizing has worn off. The aluminum stains aren't permanent and should come off with a little cleaning.

FWIW, having a pretty gun and being familiar with your gun seem to be mutually exclusive alternatives. Think of the wear as a mark of proficiency.

Cool.... maybe what I'm seeing is the aluminium residue you mention Eric I haven't had a really good scrub at it yet when I get home from work I'll really have a good go at it. I figure it's only going to get more and more marks with use but having it for a week and seeing what looks like scratches was a little concerning.

You know what they say, if you can't shoot good you might as well look good. Guess I'd better get some more practice in =)

Thanks guys