Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection for juniors

slee

What kind of hearing protection are you all using for your junior shooters?

My son is 11 and has started shooting USPSA matches with me. We are currently using the disposable plugs and he's fine with them but for obvious reasons, I want him to have the best protection possible. If anyone has any suggestions such as muffs over plugs, name brands and models, etc. please chime in.

Thanks!

I love my custom moulded plugs, but I dont think I would go that way for a growing boy at 75 bucks a pop!! Probably any electronic muffs would be ok. My 7yo girl wears my Caldwell electronics when she goes to the range with me. Dillons are next on my list...

I make the custom molded plugs, and with him shooting often they would offer the most protection short of doubling up with muffs.

The plugs that we make on-site can actually be re-coated as he grows to maintain a good seal in his ear canal. I'm not sure where you are located, but try to find a dealer near you and just ask about that. We re-coat plugs for free for junior shooter, not sure about other dealers though.

:cheers:

Hello: Use the foam plugs and Peltor 6 earmuffs for him. That way when he shoots he can hear the commands clearly and also protect his hearing. If he is not shooting he can just wear the muffs so he can protect his hearing and also hear what is going on. Lastly the muffs keep your ears warm in the cold and protect the ears from getting sunburned. My sons wear swimming ear plugs that they can mold to there ears for shooting rimfire matches. They don't fall out and work very well. Thanks, Eric

I think I will go ahead and get him some electronic muffs to wear with the plugs. Will definitely keep my eyes open for someone that does the custom molded plugs around the Springfield, Missouri area for myself as well.

Thanks!

Hello: Remember kids ears grow just as fast as they do so the molded ear plugs may not fit in just 3 months. The swimming ear pugs work just as well and are just a couple of bucks per package. The kids like the bright red ones best :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Good point...If I have to get his plugs recoated as often as I've got to get him new shoes, this may be a problem!!!LOL

Thanks!