Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going first

tackdr1ver

If going first ends up being something that just happens (and that you can't prevent, such as in a 'random' system) then learn to embrace it when it happens.

I've been shooting for just over a year now, and at our last local match, I ended up going second on both stages, while scorekeeping the rest of the time. I accepted it, took an extra minute to be sure I wasn't missing any targets, and just shot them. Ended up shooting my best runs for the last few months.

Find the good things in what you get. For me, going first this week meant that I didn't have time to get anxious about being last.

If going first ends up being something that just happens (and that you can't prevent, such as in a 'random' system) then learn to embrace it when it happens.

I've been shooting for just over a year now, and at our last local match, I ended up going second on both stages, while scorekeeping the rest of the time. I accepted it, took an extra minute to be sure I wasn't missing any targets, and just shot them. Ended up shooting my best runs for the last few months.

Find the good things in what you get. For me, going first this week meant that I didn't have time to get anxious about being last.

Good stuff!

:)

Major match's usually post stage diagrams online or are available in print prior to the match. Download the stages, read and decide upon several plans for your course of fire for each stage. Many various start positions will be used. A simple empty gun on top of desk with a loaded magazine close by is easy practice but can produce terrible start/1st. shot times. Most competitors are more than willing to help new shooters. Seek out friendly experienced competitors on your squad, ask questions and observe. Some won't want to share their course engagement knowledge, some will. Shoot safe have fun.