Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Mag Extension Trouble

mhearn

Help. I've got some Taylor Freelance Mag Extensions for the M&P 17 round mags in 9mm. 17 rnd capacity.

I can't get but one extra round into the mag with the extension installed.

The follower seems to be hitting the corner of the base pad where it meets up with the mag tube on the back side of the mag. Maybe. Hard to tell.

Anyone have this problem? Suggestions?

I had this problem only the first couple times I loaded the mags up. I found a tip on this forum to firmly smack the base of the magazine while holding the mag straight up and down. I usually did this as I was loading the magazine, at the point where no more rounds would go in. Sometimes, I had to unload the mag and start over. As soon as I was able to load it up all the way a couple of times, I did not experience any loading problems again.

I usually hit the magazine into my thigh or onto a wooden table. It doesn't need to be hit too hard.

Hope this helps

I had this problem only the first couple times I loaded the mags up. I found a tip on this forum to firmly smack the base of the magazine while holding the mag straight up and down. I usually did this as I was loading the magazine, at the point where no more rounds would go in. Sometimes, I had to unload the mag and start over. As soon as I was able to load it up all the way a couple of times, I did not experience any loading problems again.

I usually hit the magazine into my thigh or onto a wooden table. It doesn't need to be hit too hard.

Hope this helps

Duh. That seems to have taken care of it. It hasn't done it again. Could it be that simple? I like the easy fixes. Thanks.

From another source.

"Mark, we see this occasionally and it's an easy fix, the problem usually lies in the transition area where the tube and extension meet. If there isn’t a smooth transition into the extension from the tube, the legs on the follower will hang up on the edge of the extension which will not allow you to get everything stuffed in there. A temporary quick fix is to fill it up as much as you can and, while holding the magazine in your strong hand with your thumb putting pressure on the top round, bang it on a table or other hard surface and that should make the follower legs “jump” over the edge of the extension and allow you to fill up the mag.

The best way to fix it is to remove the extension and, using a small file or a Dremel tool, lightly chamfer the inside edges of the extension until the follower will slide down without hanging on the edge of the extension. "

Very useful for me. Wanted to pass it on.

Just got my TF extension and after studying and experimenting, I found the hang up to be the inside front of the base pad having a bit too much material. I used a small grinding stone to cut a slight bevel and then a abrasive rubber wheel to smooth it all up. No more hang ups.

If you look into the base pad, you will notice a slightly larger ledge on the front of the base pad as opposed to the sides. Also notice that the side ledges are about the same thickness as the magazine tube material. But then look at the front of base pad and notice that this ledge is quite a bit larger. This is where I cut a bevel and smoothed it up.

It worked for me.

PS. I reduced the thickness of the follower also, cutting from the top going downwards, and now get 20 rounds of 40 cal. reloadable with only a slightly increased effort over 19 rounds. So again, it worked for me. :D