Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best gun case for flying to matches

carlosa

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I did a quick search and there were no results.

I had the pleasure of flying with my handgun today for the first time.

I made the mistake of waiting untill the last day to buy a case, and ended up picking up a cheap $10 handgun that needed 3 separate locks (two with key one combo) to arguably be acceptable.

I was wondering what cases you guys have found give you the best peace of mind when flying.

I would like to know about rifle/shotgun cases too sence I'm going to jump into 3 gun soon.

And might end up flying.

Oh yeah don't forget your ammo cases.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Cheers,

Los

Edited by carlosa

The pelican 1500 was recommended to be by a fellow shooter, who shoots open and travels quite a bit. It ended up that the 1500 was out of stock and after explaining that I shoot limited only to Tony at Velocity Shooter (lowest price and great service), I ended up with the 1470. It fits my 2 limited guns without issue and leaves room for mags or other items. 2 lock holes, with built in locks on the flips. Seems real rugged. I also like it because it fits in a large suitcase, so you would have to open the suitcase to see the gun case. It was also recommended to me that you secure the case to the frame of the suitcase, it wont stop a person from taking it, but it makes it a little harder.

For ammo, I use the Dillon boxes with tape or heavy duty rubber bands, then put it inside my shooting bag, then it goes in the suitcase.

This is good info. I'm going to fly in November and need a case too. I just looked at Secure Firearms Products cases since they donated some certs to the Pro-Am prize table, but it would be cheaper for me to buy another glock once I get there :surprise: I'll probably give Tony a call as well.

I used a Pelican 1500 case last year for two different blasters and different mags. It worked great but used up a lot of suitcase room, so this year I got a 1470 from Tony since I'm only shooting one division and taking only one blaster. The locks are really nice, but I'm still installing a pad lock and a cable lock. These are great cases, give Tony a call at Velocity Shooter!

I went in the oposite direction but I'm not sure it was the best way. I bought a Pelican case large enough for my range bag to fit inside of it, I have a CED Pro bag. Now when I travel all of my gear is protected from the thrashing at the airport. The downside is that its heavy so it counts against your baggage's overall weight but its got wheels AND most people who like to steal stuff know that anything that's in a Pelican case is worth stealing. Oh and I bought a 1300 (I think) that fits my two Production blasters.

I went in the oposite direction but I'm not sure it was the best way. I bought a Pelican case large enough for my range bag to fit inside of it, I have a CED Pro bag. Now when I travel all of my gear is protected from the thrashing at the airport. The downside is that its heavy so it counts against your baggage's overall weight but its got wheels AND most people who like to steal stuff know that anything that's in a Pelican case is worth stealing. Oh and I bought a 1300 (I think) that fits my two Production blasters.

I have been using Pelican cases for many years now great stuff.

I have never bought one that did not give great service and always happy with the product line.

Regards Alan

I like Storm cases a lot better than Pelicans. Storms have better handles and latches.

I fly to quite a few 3-gun matches and I use a Storm 3300. Take the foam out. Put guns in a soft double gun case. The put the soft case in the hard case. Galati, 5.11, and Brownells all make good soft double gun cases.

That way you fly with the guns protected but you leave the 25 lb hard case in the hotel room and just take the soft case to the range.

I learned that little tidbit on a here.

I'm a big fan of pelican. I've flown and shipped my guns all over country with them. Plenty of battle scars, but always protect my guns!

I also think Storm makes a good case.

Only 2 manufactures that I would use to protect my guns!