Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter recoil spring fix FTEs?

Rangertim

As stated in my thread under the factory pistols "XD9 Tactical Extractor Problems". One response I got for the cause of my failure to extracts I'm getting with my 5in XD in 9mm is that I'm shooting too light a load. 133PF with my reloads and 135PF with factory Federal 115gr. Would it be possible that replacing the recoil spring with a lighter weight might fix this problem and improve the reliability with lighter loads? Thanks.

As stated in my thread under the factory pistols "XD9 Tactical Extractor Problems". One response I got for the cause of my failure to extracts I'm getting with my 5in XD in 9mm is that I'm shooting too light a load. 133PF with my reloads and 135PF with factory Federal 115gr. Would it be possible that replacing the recoil spring with a lighter weight might fix this problem and improve the reliability with lighter loads? Thanks.

Yes... depending on what the problem actually is (I didn't read your other thread).

• 3 weeks later...

I also have an XD 9mm Tactical and I have no problems with Federal 115gr FMJ bullets. If your reloads are at a 133 power factor you shouldn't be having a problem with them either. Just my opinion, but I think you should take the gun to a gunsmith. I really don't think a lighter recoil spring will fix the problem, especially since your having problems with factory ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

I had extraction problems with one. About 2 in 100 would double feed and I couldn't get to the bottom of it. Gun was still stock so Springfield sent me a return lable, paid for shipping both ways, had it back to me in four days! Few thousand rounds later no problems with any ammo I feed it. They said they "adjusted the extractor and tested".

Keith

I've had FTE's, and the problem with solving them is that

they can be caused by at least five different problems:

1. extractor

2. ejector

3. ammo

4. springs

5. your magazine

Yes, it can be lighter springs will help, but make sure

it's not all one particular magazine.

Well that's what I figured too. I check the ejector, not broken or chipped. Had the FTEs with 4 different types of ammo, tried 5 different mags or so, and couldn't find any dirt jamming the extractor. I figured it was a spring or the extractor needed replaced. I tried a 14lb recoil spring and still had the same issues. Got my slide back from Springer Precision this week and shot a match this weekend. They replaced and tuned my extractor. My XD ran 100%. Glad it's taken care of and thanks to Springer and all who work there.